Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: to stick around

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 769
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    to stick around

    Could anyone tell me the meaning of this phrasal verb "to stick around" and gimme some examples too in order I can use it correctly? I tried to find it in the dictionary and among the phrasal verbs but I didn't find it! Thanks so much!

  1. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: to stick around

    Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    Could anyone tell me the meaning of this phrasal verb "to stick around" and gimme some examples too in order I can use it correctly? I tried to find it in the dictionary and among the phrasal verbs but I didn't find it! Thanks so much!
    The idiom "stick around" means "remain, linger, stay"
    e,g, I hope you'll stick around till the end of the party.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 769
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: to stick around

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    The idiom "stick around" means "remain, linger, stay"
    e,g, I hope you'll stick around till the end of the party.


    But is "to stick around" often used? Is this sentence correct?
    A: hey, what did you do while we were in Florida?
    B: oh, nothing special; just sticking around at home.

  2. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: to stick around

    Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    But is "to stick around" often used? Is this sentence correct?
    A: hey, what did you do while we were in Florida?
    B: oh, nothing special; just sticking around at home.
    Let's ask this question to native speakers!Your sentence seems to be correct.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,063
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: to stick around

    Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    But is "to stick around" often used? Is this sentence correct?
    A: hey, what did you do while we were in Florida?
    B: oh, nothing special; just [sticking] stuck around at home.
    Notice the changes I've made, Dilodi. Now it's fine.

    A: Let's go to the movies.

    B: Nah, I just wanna stick around home tonight.

    ============

    A: It's Miller time. [idiom that equals quitting time at work] Let's go get a drink.

    B: I've got some work to finish up so I'm gonna stick around here for a bit. I'll catch up with ya later. Where ya goin' for beer?

    A: Same ole, same ole.

    B: Okeydokey, see ya there in an hour or so.

Similar Threads

  1. Leave the floor? Drive a stick?
    By tara in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-Dec-2006, 19:41
  2. stick up
    By aashmm in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Nov-2006, 15:05
  3. You can't beat that with a stick?
    By eliang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Sep-2006, 07:12
  4. the wrong end of the stick
    By paulvial in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Aug-2006, 13:14
  5. Stick it to the man
    By veter in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2005, 21:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •