Post Thanks / Like

Default Some teaching tips?!

Hello and help! I've started teaching a class of upper intermediate students and have been following a book (which has become a bit boring to be honest).I usually start the class with conversation followed by some vocabulary and then go to the book.But the students seem to be getting bored and i need new vocabulary and conversation material and some tips on how to keep them mildly interested!
    I am always going to follow the book for 20 minutes of each 1 hour lesson,i just need fresh ideas for the other 40 minutes!!
    Thanks,Chris

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Some teaching tips?!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisYards View Post
    Hello and help! I've started teaching a class of upper intermediate students and have been following a book (which has become a bit boring to be honest).I usually start the class with conversation followed by some vocabulary and then go to the book.But the students seem to be getting bored and i need new vocabulary and conversation material and some tips on how to keep them mildly interested!
    I am always going to follow the book for 20 minutes of each 1 hour lesson,i just need fresh ideas for the other 40 minutes!!
    Thanks,Chris
    My suspicion is that you're relatively new at this, Chris. Not to worry about that, if it's true, everyone has to start somewhere. I'm going to have to make some more assumptions so if they're off the mark simply disregard them.

You don't have to answer these, just see if they fit.

1. Are you monopolizing the class time because you're not prepared with the necessary ideas/materials to have the students do the talking?

2. Are you trying to "teach" too much; are you offering over- extensive grammatical explanations?

3. Are the students sitting on their butts the whole time?

There are many activities/language structures that can be practiced just with the body. Create work stations where students have to perform certain tasks. Example

Station one: Actions a) stand/sit/kneel/crouch + back to back/face to face/side by side + behind him /in front of her / on his left/on her right /in front to the right of [name]

You can vary the language/grammatical structures used to fit the level:

1) past time - What did you do?

2) present continuous - What is he-she/are you doing?

3) What were you doing while I was __ing?

4) If I were doing that, what would I be doing?

5) If I had been doing/done that what would I have been doing/ have done?

Create other work stations where you set up a number of related verbs;

Touch/poke/stroke/pinch/rub/flick your nose/cheek/left eyebrow/ etc

Bounce/roll/throw/give/hand/toss the {sth} // a {sth} to [name].

The deal is, for teaching a language, the teacher facilitates students using language in context. Get the students up off their butts, get them doing activities in class, NOT out of a book but in real life.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes most of the above is true!
    Thanks,some great tips...
    Basically i could do with some more subjects for vocabulary.Ive done directions,house and home,films etc..
    and maybe some more subjects for discussion.
    I'm using the book less and less each time.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Try the newspaper/magazines, current events they may be interested in discussing. Perhaps find out what interests they have and use those subjects to relieve the boredom.

Round table discussion on the above would change the atmosphere and have them interested in the class.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand you a lot!! At the beginning it is difficult to get into the tune, but once you get to know your students and learn about their interests you can use them as a tool in your class. For example, teens love music and movies and all that kind of entertainment, so once or twice a week I make them listen a relatively new song and we do listening activities, or for instance, if there is a new movie on screen I ask them to make a report of it. I suggest you not to follow the book strictly, sometimes we need to rearrange things there or if you know that something that appears on the book is not of really interest for your students your class will get a bore.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input everyone.I'm starting to try out a few different ideas that seem to be working.Its quite difficult because there's such a difference in age between the students.