Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Hong Kong Chinese Guest

    Default No alcoholic drink for underage!

    A warning sign in restaurant

    No person under the age of 18 years is permitted intoxicating liquors on the premises.
    It’s very strange that I don’t know why they use intoxicating liquors.
    Link:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...1677&dict=CALD

    Is the word ‘intoxicating’ redundant? By the fact that all liquors are supposed to be intoxicating!
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...=L&key=HW*1275

    And also liquor is a strong drink, i.e. whisky, vodka, brandy etc.

    Beer, port, red wine, white wine, grape wine – should they be counted as liquor?

    From the warning sign, I’d say the underage can drink beer, port, red wine, and any light alcoholic beverage!

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    'Intoxicating' isn't really necessary. I don't suppose they'll let them drink beer, though.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,717
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: No alcoholic drink for underage!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Chinese
    A warning sign in restaurant

    No person under the age of 18 years is permitted intoxicating liquors on the premises.
    It’s very strange that I don’t know why they use intoxicating liquors.
    Link:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...1677&dict=CALD

    Is the word ‘intoxicating’ redundant? By the fact that all liquors are supposed to be intoxicating!
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...=L&key=HW*1275

    And also liquor is a strong drink, i.e. whisky, vodka, brandy etc.

    Beer, port, red wine, white wine, grape wine – should they be counted as liquor?

    From the warning sign, I’d say the underage can drink beer, port, red wine, and any light alcoholic beverage!
    It is an odd message, but the meaning is relatively clear. :wink:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: No alcoholic drink for underage!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Chinese
    A warning sign in restaurant

    No person under the age of 18 years is permitted intoxicating liquors on the premises.
    It?s very strange that I don?t know why they use intoxicating liquors.
    Link:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...1677&dict=CALD

    Is the word ?intoxicating? redundant? By the fact that all liquors are supposed to be intoxicating!
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...=L&key=HW*1275

    And also liquor is a strong drink, i.e. whisky, vodka, brandy etc.

    Beer, port, red wine, white wine, grape wine ? should they be counted as liquor?

    From the warning sign, I?d say the underage can drink beer, port, red wine, and any light alcoholic beverage!
    I'd say beer, port, red/white wine, grape wine are soft drinks. They don't belong to intoxicating liquors such as whisky, vodka.

    What do you think? :wink:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: No alcoholic drink for underage!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Chinese
    A warning sign in restaurant

    No person under the age of 18 years is permitted intoxicating liquors on the premises.
    To me it's the -s on 'liquors' that sounds kind of funny.

    In North America, liquor has two meanings: 1) distilled spirits or hard liquor (e.g. vodka, rye, whiskey, etc) and 2) a general, umbrella term for all drinks that intoxicate (i.e, get you drunk).

    By the way, I'd say you're right about 'intoxicating liquors' being redundant. :)

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,717
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: No alcoholic drink for underage!

    Quote Originally Posted by henry

    I'd say beer, port, red/white wine, grape wine are soft drinks. They don't belong to intoxicating liquors such as whisky, vodka.

    What do you think? :wink:
    They are a bit different from distilled spirits, but alcohol is still alcohol. 8)

  7. #7
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In this country (USA) soft drinks are non-alcoholic beverages. Sodas are soft drinks.

    :)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    In this country (USA) soft drinks are non-alcoholic beverages. Sodas are soft drinks.

    :)
    Oh I see. Here in Germany such drinks(beer, wine, etc.) are called soft drinks and therefore youths are allowed to consume.

    8)

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,717
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    In this country (USA) soft drinks are non-alcoholic beverages. Sodas are soft drinks.

    :)
    Oh I see. Here in Germany such drinks(beer, wine, etc.) are called soft drinks and therefore youths are allowed to consume.

    8)
    That's interesting. In the US, distilled spirits are often called "hard liquor", but there is no "soft liquor". As Ron said, soft drinks are entirely different here. :wink:

  10. #10
    Tombraiders Guest

    Default

    Intoxcicating liquors mean all of the alcoholic drinks, not limited to hard liquors like whisky, vodka and gin. So beer, wine are on the off-limit list.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you want to eat apple or drink beer?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-May-2004, 14:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •