Results 1 to 9 of 9

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 9
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Question why dont you, why you dont!!!

    Hi every body,

    I would like to ask you about WHY...
    Where is the difference when we say..
    Why Don't you bring the book?
    and .. Why you don't bring the book?

    Also, When we use Why, we have to write the helping verb before or after the subject/ object?

    thanx in advance

    regards,

    MIS-STudent..

  1. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: why dont you, why you dont!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MIS_Student View Post
    Hi every body,

    I would like to ask you about WHY...
    Where is the difference when we say..
    Why Don't you bring the book?
    and .. Why you don't bring the book?

    Also, When we use Why, we have to write the helping verb before or after the subject/ object?

    thanx in advance

    regards,

    MIS-STudent..
    Why don't you bring the book? It's a question and the helping verb is before the subject and it's correct. When you say "Why you don't bring the book" it's not a question. Better to say like this: Tell me why you don't bring the book" and it'll be correct too.


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 9
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Thumbs up Re: why dont you, why you dont!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Why don't you bring the book? It's a question and the helping verb is before the subject and it's correct. When you say "Why you don't bring the book" it's not a question. Better to say like this: Tell me why you don't bring the book" and it'll be correct too.

    Thank you alot for your replaying ...
    I thought no one will reply

  2. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: why dont you, why you dont!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MIS_Student View Post
    Thank you alot for your replaying ...
    I thought no one will reply
    Welcome to the forum!


    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 42
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: why dont you, why you dont!!!

    we can used this sentence like this
    why you dont bring the book is a matter of fact(we can used the why here means reason)


    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 42
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: why dont you, why you dont!!!

    i mean use not used sorry

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 371
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: why dont you, why you dont!!!

    what about this Q.
    Do you have any idea why I don't come?
    not why don't I?


    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: why dont you, why you dont!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JACOOL View Post
    what about this Q.
    Do you have any idea why I don't come?
    not why don't I?
    When you use "why ...." as a subordinate clause,you must use "why you don't...".
    If you use "why...." as a normal question sentence,you use "why don't you ...".

    In your question,"why I don't come " is a subordinate clause,so....

    My opinion is right or not?

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: why dont you, why you dont!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by phie View Post
    When you use "why ...." as a subordinate clause,you must use "why you don't...".
    If you use "why...." as a normal question sentence,you use "why don't you ...".

    In your question,"why I don't come " is a subordinate clause,so....

    My opinion is right or not?
    I like it.

    Statement: Why + Subject + Verb
    Question: Why + Verb + Subject

    All the best, and Welcome, phie.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •