Thread: HElP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default HElP!

1. I moved through the veins of the marble heart, through the space between the paisleys on my mother’s blouse.
    What’s "marble heart"?
    Here is the context:
    Later that day, as I walked through our living room, a maze revealed itself to me in the mahogany coffee table. I sat on the floor, fingered the wood grain, and found a winding avenue through it. The fabric of my parents’ blanket was a pattern of climbing ivy and, from one end of the bed to the other, I traced the air between the tendrils. Soon I didn’t need to use a finger, mapping my path by sight. I moved through the veins of the marble heart, through the space between the paisleys on my mother’s blouse. At the age of seven I changed forever, like the faithful who see Christ on the side of a barn or peering up from a corn tortilla. Everywhere I looked, a labyrinth meandered.
    And I don’t clearly understand the sentence above: "like the faithful who see Christ on the side of a barn or peering up from a corn tortilla. "
    I gripped the crayon, savored the place.
    What does "savor" mean here?
    The context:
    Reaching the cheese had about it a triumph and finality I’d never experienced after coloring a picture or connecting the dots. If only I’d known a word like “ inevitable,” since that’s how it felt to finally slip into the innermost room. I gripped the crayon, savored the place.
    4Does "a coloring book" mean a book with pictures without colors, and waiting for you to color them?

Wait for your help!!

rj76 Guest

Default Re: HElP!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Lau
    1. I moved through the veins of the marble heart, through the space between the paisleys on my motherís blouse.
    Whatís "marble heart"?
    I'm not certain, but I believe it is a reference to the pattern on the fabric.

At the age of seven I changed forever, like the faithful who see Christ on the side of a barn or peering up from a corn tortilla.
    2.And I donít clearly understand the sentence above: "like the faithful who see Christ on the side of a barn or peering up from a corn tortilla. "

For a believer (the faithful) seeing a vision of Christ in an unexpected place, like the side of a barn or in a corn tortilla, is a religious experience. It's the type of event that would be likely to change a person's life. The author is using that example as a way of illustrating what a life altering moment this was.

I gripped the crayon, savored the place.
    What does "savor" mean here?
    It means it was greatly enjoyed or appreciated.

4Does "a coloring book" mean a book with pictures without colors, and waiting for you to color them?
    That is exactly what it means! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!!