Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Grammer

  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default Grammer

    Which of the following two sentences is correct:

    "Alex and I" or

    "Alex and myself"

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Neither is a sentence. However, "Alex and myself" doesn't make much sense to me. For example, say "Do you want to go with Alex and me?" not "Do you want to go with Alex and myself?" Please, don't use Alex and myself. Instead, say, for example, "I did it myself" or "I want to do it myself."

    :)

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    'Alex and I' would be the normal form for the subject of a verb.

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,769
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammer

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Which of the following two sentences is correct:

    "Alex and I" or

    "Alex and myself"
    As a general rule, one should only use a reflexive pronoun (such as "myself") after the entity it refers to has already been mentioned.

    John and I are going....
    He gave it to John and me.
    I saw myself in the mirror.
    John blames himself for the accident.

  5. #5
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammer

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Which of the following two sentences is correct:

    "Alex and I" or

    "Alex and myself"
    As a general rule, one should only use a reflexive pronoun (such as "myself") after the entity it refers to has already been mentioned.

    John and I are going....
    He gave it to John and me.
    I saw myself in the mirror.
    John blames himself for the accident.
    It's such a simple rule to follow. Why won't more people do it?

    :(

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,769
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammer

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Which of the following two sentences is correct:

    "Alex and I" or

    "Alex and myself"
    As a general rule, one should only use a reflexive pronoun (such as "myself") after the entity it refers to has already been mentioned.

    John and I are going....
    He gave it to John and me.
    I saw myself in the mirror.
    John blames himself for the accident.

    It's such a simple rule to follow. Why won't more people do it?

    :(
    I don't know. Perhaps it is a form of hypercorrection.

  7. #7
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammer

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Which of the following two sentences is correct:

    "Alex and I" or

    "Alex and myself"
    As a general rule, one should only use a reflexive pronoun (such as "myself") after the entity it refers to has already been mentioned.

    John and I are going....
    He gave it to John and me.
    I saw myself in the mirror.
    John blames himself for the accident.


    It's such a simple rule to follow. Why won't more people do it?

    :(
    I don't know. Perhaps it is a form of hypercorrection.
    I think you're right.

    :)

Similar Threads

  1. english grammer
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2005, 10:18
  2. correcting grammer and structure!
    By Recardo in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2004, 23:49
  3. Grammer
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Aug-2004, 15:12
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Jun-2004, 01:00
  5. grammer and spelling
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2003, 17:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •