monia83 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Canadian vocab vs American and British

Hello everybody I'm currently writing MA thesis concerning Canadian English. My practical section of this dissertation is to involve the analysis of Canadian Vocabulary and I do need your help (especially of CANADIANS). I would be REALLY grateful if U could give me answers to the following survey:
    1. Which way of spelling do U prefer: odour/odor, colour/color, centre/center, foetus/fetus, licence/license, dialogue/dialog, jewellery/jewelry, criticise/criticize, formulae/formulas, tyre/tire, program/programme
    2.Do U ever use any of these words (if yes how often): serviette, chesterfield
    3. Which words do you use in everyday life: autumn/fall, biscuit/cookie, chemist's/drugstore, crisps/chips, football/soccer, garden/yard, lift/elevator
    Thx also for filling these info:
    Province and territory:
    Town:
    Education (primary/secondary/ higher education):

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Canadian vocab vs American and British

Hello Monia

I'm not sure if you want my comments (I'm a BrE speaker), but here they are:

1. odour, colour, centre, foetus, licence/license [both; former as noun, latter as verb], dialogue [except in an IT connection, where I would talk about a "dialog box"], jewelry, criticise/criticize [both: the former at work, the latter in my own time], formulae/formulas [both; the former in a scientific or technical context, the latter elsewhere], tyre, program/programme [both; the former in an IT context, the latter for e.g. tv programmes]

2. serviette, chesterfield [neither]

3. autumn, biscuit/cookie [both], chemist's, crisps, football, garden, lift

All the best,

MrP

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monia83 View Post
    Hello everybody I'm currently writing MA thesis concerning Canadian English. My practical section of this dissertation is to involve the analysis of Canadian Vocabulary and I do need your help (especially of CANADIANS). I would be REALLY grateful if U could give me answers to the following survey:
    1. Which way of spelling do U prefer: odour/odor, colour/color, centre/center, foetus/fetus, licence/license, dialogue/dialog, jewellery/jewelry, criticise/criticize, formulae/formulas, tyre/tire, program/programme
    odor, color, center, fetus, license, dialogue, jewelry, criticize, formulae, tire, program

No. I say "napkin" and "couch" or "sofa"

3. Which words do you use in everyday life: autumn/fall, biscuit/cookie, chemist's/drugstore, crisps/chips, football/soccer, garden/yard, lift/elevator
    I use both, but usually say "fall;" If I'm referring to an actuaL bisuit (such as the type you get served with sausage gravy for breakfast), then I say "biscuit." Otherwise, it's a cookie. Drugstore, chips, football (unless it's the game with men in little shorties kicking a round, black and white ball, then it's soccer). The garden is the part of the yard when flowers and/or vegetables grow. The yard is the grassy part of the property. Elevator.

Province and territory:
    Town:
    Sex: Female
    State: Michigan
    Town: Birmingham (just north of Detroit)
    Education: Bachelor's Degree

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Canadian vocab vs American and British

i know this is really late, but i had the urge to reply.

i use odour, colour, centre.. even tho i sometimes spell it center, fetus (never seen foetus b4), licence/license(both), dialogue, jewellery/jewelry, criticize, formulas (even tho the dictionary insists it formulae(forCanE), tire never used tyre before, program/programme (even tho im wondering whats the difference), and favourite <-- for the record.

never, dont know what they are. LOL do tell me if they mean napkin or couch or sofa.

autumn or fall (usually fall), cookie.. crackers maybe biscuit, drugstore, chips, soccer if its black and white, football if its ovally, garden for the little place you have back with veges and flowers, yard for the front (almost never for measurement) backyard for the backyard.., and elevator.

Sex: F
    Province and territory: ONTARIO~~~ W00T!
    Town/City: really close to Toronto.. GTA, prolly a town you guys never heard of although in Toronto you would.
    Education (primary/secondary/ higher education): erm. lets leave it as JHS. demoted down back to elementary, going to high school.

Offroad is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Buddhaheart is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Originally Posted by monia83

Odor; color; centre; fetus; licence if used as a noun, license as a verb; dialogue; jewelry; criticize; formulae; tire; program
    Quote:

No, not often. We use napkin, couch and sofa.

Quote:

We use both in all pairs except the following: chemistís; crisps and lift.

Quote:
    Province and territory:
    Town:

Sex: Male
    State: BC
    Town: Vancouver
    Education: Bachelor's Degree