hatuna is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post English idioms of communication

Hi, I'm a new member and I have a question to ask. I need to do some work related to english idioms of communication(e.g. go tell it to the Marines, to cry uncle, to read between the lines), and negative polarity idioms(e.g. I
    couldn't get a word edgewise) and I'm not sure what to do. Where could I find definitions reletad to these topics and examples of idioms of this kind.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: English idioms of communication

For a start, try this site: Idioms and phrases

hatuna is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: English idioms of communication

Well, I've tried it but it's not quite what I need. I need something to distinguish between communicational idioms and other which are similar to them. I need that to make comparison to equivalent idioms in my mother tongue(Bosnian). Thanks anyway.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

In all likelihood, you're going to have to compile your own list. However, our database and others are searchable by keyword (use the 'include definition' option to widen the scope). That way, you should be able to make a list fairly easily. I don't know of an existing one, but you might be able to find a paper dealing with the topic.

hatuna is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: English idioms of communication

Ok. I'll try to do that. I also think that as idioms of communication are considered those idioms which contain a verb of communication.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hatuna View Post
    Ok. I'll try to do that. I also think that as idioms of communication are considered those idioms which contain a verb of communication.
    ... up to a point. They usually do. But some don't contain a verb at all: some examples -
    • 'telephone tag' [when A telephones B who is out, and leaves a message; then B calls back, but this time A is out; and so it goes on. This is called 'playing telephone tag', and playing wouldn't be caught in your net.]
    • And speaking of nets, 'a web/tissue of lies'.
    • 'A Chinese wall' [an agreement not to communicate, when there are two conflicting interests recognized by separate workers within the same department]
    • 'A handshake' [exchange of standard signals to initiate communications between two systems (two computers, a mobile phone and its network...)]

b

hatuna is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, but would it be more acceptable to use idioms which actually contain verb used to describe some kind of communication like: ''Speak of the devil'', or ''Call the shots'' or even ''Preaching to the choir''. These idioms actually contain verbs used for describing communication. What do you think about that.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

They're all about communication IMO.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, but would it be more acceptable to use idioms which actually contain verb used to describe some kind of communication like: ''Speak of the devil'', or ''Call the shots'' or even ''Preaching to the choir''. These idioms actually contain verbs used for describing communication. What do you think about that.
    It's a question of how widely you want to cast your [research] net. You must decide whether you're interested in idioms that use words connected with communication (like 'Speak of the devil') or idioms to do with communication (like 'Get one's wires crossed'). The first uses a verb that is obviously about communication - 'speak'; but the verb 'get', without that context, isn't.

If you stick only to the ones that have communication-related verbs, you should have plenty to go on!

b

tmdth is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm a new member and I have a question to ask. I need to do some work related to english idioms of communication(e.g. go tell it to the Marines, to cry uncle, to read between the lines), and negative polarity idioms(e.g. I
    couldn't get a word edgewise) and I'm not sure what to do. Where could I find definitions reletad to these topics and examples of idioms of this kind.
    well, you can take a look at Conversation - Learn good phrases from daily conversation
    In my opinion, it is a good site of using idioms in communication including examples and how to use as well :).

My spoken english is not good much and that site teachs me partially at least to improve my speaking skill, I hope it helps.