Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    freddie is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question "in" means "after"?

    I will come in ten days.



    Some people say ,"in ten days"means "after the tenth day"in this case.


    Is it true?I can not grasp this.


    I need help.

  2. #2
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "in" means "after"?

    Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    I will come in ten days.



    Some people say ,"in ten days"means "after the tenth day"in this case.


    Is it true?I can not grasp this.


    I need help.
    Yes, they are right.

  3. #3
    Philly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "in" means "after"?

    Hi Freddie

    Saying "I will come in ten days." is not quite as clear as stating a specific date.

    However, if today is the 1st day of the month, then saying "I will come in ten days" would usually be understood as "I will come on the 11th."

  4. #4
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "in" means "after"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Hi Freddie

    Saying "I will come in ten days." is not quite as clear as stating a specific date.

    However, if today is the 1st day of the month, then saying "I will come in ten days" would usually be understood as "I will come on the 11th."
    I think there is no need to state a specific date. When someone says "I'll be back in ten days" the starting point is automatically considered to be the specific date.

  5. #5
    Philly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "in" means "after"?

    Let's say someone leaves on a business trip at 6:00 a.m. on the first of the month and the scheduled return is 9 p.m. on the 10th of the month. It's entirely possible that this person might say "I'll be back in 10 days". Whether you think it's right or wrong for the person to say that is irrelevant. The fact remains that it is always clearest to state a date of arrival or return.

  6. #6
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "in" means "after"?

    Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    I will come in ten days.
    Some people say ,"in ten days"means "after the tenth day"in this case.
    Is it true?I can not grasp this.
    I need help.
    used to indicate inclusion within or occurrence during a period or limit of time

  7. #7
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "in" means "after"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Let's say someone leaves on a business trip at 6:00 a.m. on the first of the month and the scheduled return is 9 p.m. on the 10th of the month. It's entirely possible that this person might say "I'll be back in 10 days". Whether you think it's right or wrong for the person to say that is irrelevant. The fact remains that it is always clearest to state a date of arrival or return.
    Let's not count the hours and the minutes. Let's speak English. It's even possible to say" I'll be back in 10 days or so."

  8. #8
    freddie is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wink Re: "in" means "after"?

    Mrs or Mrs and Mses ,I have looked through all your views above,but I am still unclear abut why it is such a case.




    I do not find a sense of "in" that it means "after" in several dictionaries.

    In dictionaries,it is only explained as "within or during a period".



    What I want is just a logic and reasonable explanation about relation between
    "in" and "after".


    I really cannot connect them up at all.


  9. #9
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "in" means "after"?

    Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    Mrs or Mrs and Mses ,I have looked through all your views above,but I am still unclear abut why it is such a case.




    I do not find a sense of "in" that it means "after" in several dictionaries.

    In dictionaries,it is only explained as "within or during a period".



    What I want is just a logic and reasonable explanation about relation between
    "in" and "after".


    I really cannot connect them up at all.

    Yes, when you say "in ten days" you mean "after ten days" or "within ten days" or "during ten days'. They have similar meaning.

  10. #10
    freddie is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "in" means "after"?

    if I want to mean: I will come back on any day of that ten days,

    can I say"I will come back in ten days"?


    If not,why?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. by no means all do?
    By Eway in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2006, 20:01
  2. means of transport is or are?
    By sheena55ro in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2006, 21:29
  3. 'BY no means' and ' not by any means'
    By zaed_salah in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2006, 02:18
  4. What means You'd?
    By Xenon32 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-Jul-2006, 21:15
  5. grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 19:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •