Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kartalserkan is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Why do we learn foreign languages??

I have a project about "why do we learn foreign languages?" and I want to ask that question to you?? If you share your thoughts with me I will be happy. Because I want to collect different ideas from different people from different nations and nationalities.
    Thank you for your help!!!

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do we learn foreign languages??

I was born and raised in the Detroit area of the US. I studied French and Spanish in high school, as those were the only two foreign languages offered. French was probably by far the more popular class among students, since we lived so close to Canada.

However, years later, I took additional Spanish courses because my job required me to interact with employees at Volkswagen de Mexico. The US has had a significant influx of Spanish-speaking immigrants in the last 20 years, but they are (for the most part) in Chicago, New York, California, Florida, and other southern states. A person fluent in both English and Spanish would be able to get any number of customer service positions in any of those areas.

In the metro Detroit area, where I still live, we have the largest number of Arab-Americans in the entire United States. Certainly it would be of benefit for business people in this area to speak Arabic. From a commercial point of view, imagine being the only bank or appliance store or grocery store in the area that has employees fluent in Arabic? You would guarantee yourself a large percentage of business.

Dany is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I'm German and studied english because I want to communicate with people from around the world. And as English is almost spoken everywhere, it was very important for me. Now I think about to learn Spain, as this language is also spoken in many countries. The second reason is that you need foreign languages to get a good job.

queenbu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

On a small island like Malta where the main source of income is tourism, one has to learn foreign languages. Apart from the fact that Malta was an English colony and most Maltese people speak English, Italian television is very popular and the majority of the Maltese can understand Italian very well. Knowledge of German, French and other languages are very useful for all those working in restaurants, hotels and as tourist guides. The Maltese also like to travel a lot being confined to a small island for most of the year, so speaking foreign languages helps when one goes abroad.

Dany is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Two weeks ago I visited a language school in Malta. I was told that children already learn English in the kindergarden and at school the spoken language is English only. It is important, because all books are written English. As Malta has just about 400,000 inhabitants, it makes no sense to print all the books in Maltese.

hscadore is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

because it's need to understand the world, it's needed to get a job or at least a job interview, it's good because now i can understand the brit&american music i have been listening since i was born...and because i like to study languages also...

i have studied it for years. Although my country is surrounded by spanish speakers it was the only language offered in my school . And when i was young little boy my mother sent me to a place that she told me that it was the place i would learn something very important to my life, an English School ...

Anyway i cannot write a sentence without a mistake and i speak like Borat!! But i dont give up.
    Last edited by hscadore; 27-Feb-2007 at 02:28.

csharp is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nowadays, if you want a good job, you should know at least one foreign language, escpecially English. When you have so much money, you can travel everywhere, so you need it for communication. But if you only spend your money and time relaxing, you will not have enough knowledge bc in many works, you must always update your knowledge. So you need foreign lang to master, bc there are very very little advanced books written by your native language, except that your native lang is Eng or some popular languages. Therefore, learning foreign languages is so neccessary and important for all your life.

kartalserkan is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I read all the answers of all of you. Thank you for your participation.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lived and will live in different countries, so I learn the language of the country I am in.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend is going to be a citizen of the world planning to live for some time in different countries working there. So, my friend will definitely need al least the knowledge of English (the native language is Russian)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast