• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

• Post Thanks / Like

Pedagogic or Pedagogical?

Should I use: "Pedagogical Objectives" or "Pedagogic Objectives"? How can I make the distinction? Does the rule apply to "Pedagogical Methods and Techniques" and "Pedagogic Methods and Techniques"?

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.s. The hits on google for "Pedagogical Objectives/Methods..." are much higher than "Pedagogic Objectives/Methods...". However, it's never completely reliable.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pedagogic or Pedagogical?

Quote Originally Posted by ivferraz View Post
    Should I use: "Pedagogical Objectives" or "Pedagogic Objectives"? How can I make the distinction? Does the rule apply to "Pedagogical Methods and Techniques" and "Pedagogic Methods and Techniques"?

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.s. The hits on google for "Pedagogical Objectives/Methods..." are much higher than "Pedagogic Objectives/Methods...". However, it's never completely reliable.
    I looked at the Cambridge International Dictionary and found the following:

pedagogic Show phonetics
    adjective (ALSO pedagogical) SPECIALIZED

which indicates they are the same. But this reminds me of another pair of words: economic and economical, which have totally different meanings. But I guess not in this case. Just my two cents.

By the way, I salute you for using Google. It is very useful in most cases.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help.
    I also checked the Cambridge dictionary, but because of differences between words ending in -ic / -ical, like the example you mentioned (economic and economical), I wasn't sure they were synonyms.
    Resorting to google is sometimes the quickest way I have to confirm the usage of certain words in English. However, I don't trust all the results, so I check the source (for example, an academic work is more credible) and, when I still have doubts, nothing better than to use the forum and ask the experts!
    Thanks again.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ivferraz View Post
    Thank you for your help.
    I also checked the Cambridge dictionary, but because of differences between words ending in -ic / -ical, like the example you mentioned (economic and economical), I wasn't sure they were synonyms.
    Resorting to google is sometimes the quickest way I have to confirm the usage of certain words in English. However, I don't trust all the results, so I check the source (for example, an academic work is more credible) and, when I still have doubts, nothing better than to use the forum and ask the experts!
    Thanks again.
    By the way, you may want to check out the following two corpus-based concordancers, which are more accurate than Goolgle. Good luck.

Search
    Cobuild Concordance and Collocations Sampler