asad hussain is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please edit my answers.

Hi, Could someone please please please have a through look at the answers for grammar mistakes, and weird lines, and edit them?
    It will be so nice of you.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Children Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Come to me, O ye children!
    For I hear you at your play,
    And the questions that perplexed me
    Have vanished quite away.

Ye open the eastern windows,
    That look towards the sun,
    Where thoughts are singing swallows
    And the brooks of morning run.

In your hearts are the birds and the sunshine,
    In your thoughts the brooklet's flow,
    But in mine is the wind of Autumn
    And the first fall of the snow.

Ah! what would the world be to us
    If the children were no more?
    We should dread the desert behind us
    Worse than the dark before.

What the leaves are to the forest,
    With light and air for food,
    Ere their sweet and tender juices
    Have been hardened into wood, --

That to the world are children;
    Through them it feels the glow
    Of a brighter and sunnier climate
    Than reaches the trunks below.

Come to me, O ye children!
    And whisper in my ear
    What the birds and the winds are singing
    In your sunny atmosphere.

For what are all our contrivings,
    And the wisdom of our books,
    When compared with your caresses,
    And the gladness of your looks?

Ye are better than all the ballads
    That ever were sung or said;
    For ye are living poems,
    And all the rest are dead.

1. What are the children doing?
    They are playing.

2. What is the question that is disturbing the poet?
    What would life be like without the innocence of children?

3. How has the question been answered?
    It’s been answered by hearing soft and sweet voices of the children.

4. What does the poet mean by saying that the children open the windows that look to the east?
    He means that children are the source of brightness and light in the world. It’s children that cause to make the sun rise and show its brightness to the world.

5. To what does the poet compare the thoughts?
    He compares the thoughts to singing swallows.

6. Why does he compare them so?
    He compares them, because children’s thoughts as innocent and nonchalant as the singing birds which in dawn soaring carelessly in the sky give a beautiful picture of tranquility.

7. How can the birds and the sunshine be in the hearts of the children? What does the poet mean?
    He means children are generally carefree like the birds which away from the cares in the world drone soft and mellow tunes gliding high in the sky. Children speak their hearts, and their hearts are as pure and radiant as the Sunshine.

8. The poet says that the children are thinking of the brooks while he is thinking of autumn. What does this mean?
    The poet says so, because he has grown old and feeble, and his life is about to end like a plant the gets dried in Autumn, while the children are young, energetic and lively like running brooks.

9. Is the poet using the word autumn for old age?
    Yes, he is using it to describe time of late maturity.

10. What other words does the poet use to show the coming of old age upon him?
    First fall of the snow

11. How are the children different from the poet?
    The children differ the poet in many aspects. Their thoughts are as innocent and carefree as the singing birds, which carelessly drone soft and sweet tunes in dawn. In their “hearts are the birds and the sunshine”, and in their “thoughts the brooklet's flow”, while the poet is seized in the hands of troubles, and in his heart and thoughts “is the wind of Autumn, and the first fall of the snow.” And most importantly, he has grown old and fragile, it has taken almost all his lifetime making fortune, whereas the children are young and bouncy, and it’s just the beginning of their journey.

12. What question does the poet ask?
    What would life be like without the children and their innocence?

13. In the third and fourth lines of the 4th stanza, the poet says if there were no children, we would fear the desert behind us, and more than that we would fear the dark in front of us. What do the desert and the dark mean?
    Desert is the past, dark the future. The term desert actually refers to a world devoid of gaiety and cheerfulness, and the dark signifies the atmosphere which would be very dreadful and gloomy without children.

14. What would happen to the trees if there were no leaves?
    They would harden into woods.

15. What would happen to us, if there were no children?
    We would have no hope, life would be depressing, pointless.

16. Why does the poet ask the children to come to him?
    He calls them to whisper to him.

17. What songs does the poet wish to be whispered in the ear?
    Tell him what the birds and winds are singing

18. To what does the poet compare children?
    He compares them to ballads and poems.

19. How can the children be like the ballads and the poems?
    They can be like the ballads and the poems for they are full of emotions, feelings, energy and music.

20. The poet calls the children living and the rest all dead. Why does he say this?
    He says this, because we have lost our innocence.

21. The grown up people have wisdom and books. What do the children have?
    They have innocence, emotions of love and affection, pleasure and self-contentment.
    Last edited by asad hussain; 01-Mar-2007 at 21:48.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please edit my answers.

I've only included the items that required correction. My changes are indicated in purple.

It’s been answered by hearing soft and sweet voices of the children.

It's been answered by the sound of the soft and sweet voices of the children.

4. What does the poet mean by saying that the children open the windows that look to the east?
    He means that children are the source of brightness and light in the world. It’s children that cause to make the sun rise and show its brightness to the world.

It's children that make the sun rise and show its brightness to the world.

He compares them, because children’s thoughts as innocent and nonchalant as the singing birds which in dawn soaring carelessly in the sky give a beautiful picture of tranquility.

He compares them because children's thoughts are as innocent and nonchalant as the singing birds, which soar carelessly in the sky at dawn and give a beautiful picture of tranquility.

7. How can the birds and the sunshine be in the hearts of the children? What does the poet mean?

He means children are generally carefree like the birds which away from the cares in the world drone soft and mellow tunes gliding high in the sky. Children speak their hearts, and their hearts are as pure and radiant as the Sunshine.

He means children are generally carefree, like the birds which glide high in the sky, away from the cares in the world, droning soft and mellow tunes.

8. The poet says that the children are thinking of the brooks while he is thinking of autumn. What does this mean?
    The poet says so, because he has grown old and feeble, and his life is about to end like a plant that gets dried out in Autumn, while the children are young, energetic and lively like running brooks.

The children differ the poet in many aspects. Their thoughts are as innocent and carefree as the singing birds, which carelessly drone soft and sweet tunes in dawn. (see above correction)

In their hearts "are the birds and the sunshine”, and in their thoughts "the brooklet's flow”, while the poet is seized in the hands of trouble, and in his heart and thoughts “is the wind of Autumn, and the first fall of the snow.” And most importantly, he has grown old and fragile, it has taken almost all his lifetime to make his fortune, whereas the children are young and bouncy, and it’s just the beginning of their journey.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for your corrections, Ouisch.

Post Thanks / Like

I have put some parentheses where I still have confusion. Could you please please clarify it to me?

1. What are the children doing?
    They are playing.

2. What is the question that is disturbing the poet?
    What would life be like without the innocence of children?

It's been answered by the sound of the soft and sweet voices of the children.

It's children that make the sun rise and show its brightness to the world.

5. To what does the poet compare the thoughts?
    He compares the thoughts to singing swallows.

He compares them because children's thoughts are as innocent and nonchalant as the singing birds, which soar carelessly in the sky at dawn and give a beautiful picture of tranquility.

He means children are generally carefree, like the birds which glide high in the sky, away from the cares in the world, droning soft and mellow tunes. Children speak their hearts, and their hearts are as pure and radiant as the Sunshine. (OK. now?)

The poet says so, because he has grown old and feeble, and his life is about to end like a plant that gets dried out in Autumn, while the children are young, energetic and lively like running brooks.

9. Is the poet using the word autumn for old age?
    Yes, he is using it to describe time of late maturity.

10. What other words does the poet use to show the coming of old age upon him?
    First fall of the snow

The children differ from the poet in many aspects. Their thoughts are as innocent and nonchalant as the singing birds, which glide carelessly in the sky at dawn, droning soft and mellow tunes. In their hearts "are the birds and the sunshine”, and in their thoughts "the brooklet's flow”, while the poet is seized in the hands of trouble, and in his heart and thoughts “is the wind of Autumn, and the first fall of the snow.” And most importantly, he has grown old and fragile, it has taken almost all his lifetime to make his fortune, whereas the children are young and bouncy, and it’s just the beginning of their journey.(OK. now?)

12. What question does the poet ask?
    What would life be like without the children and their innocence?

13. In the third and fourth lines of the 4th stanza, the poet says if there were no children, we would fear the desert behind us, and more than that we would fear the dark in front of us. What do the desert and the dark mean?
    (the?)Desert is the past, (and?)(the?)dark .(is?)the future. The term desert actually refers to a world devoid of gaiety and cheerfulness, and the dark signifies the atmosphere which would be very dreadful and gloomy without children.

14. What would happen to the trees if there were no leaves?
    They would harden into woods.

15. What would happen to us, if there were no children?
    We would have no hope, life would be depressing,(and?) pointless.

16. Why does the poet ask the children to come to him?
    He calls them to whisper to him.

17. What songs does the poet wish to be whispered in the ear?
    Tell him what the birds and winds are singing. (Is it fine?Can it be answered some other way?)

18. To what does the poet compare children?
    He compares them to (the?)ballads and (the?)poems. (the?)

19. How can the children be like the ballads and the poems?
    They can be like the ballads and the poems for they are full of emotions, feelings, energy and music. (Is it fine)

20. The poet calls the children living and the rest all dead. Why does he say this?
    He says this, because we have lost our innocence.

21. The grown up people have wisdom and books. What do the children have?
    They have innocence, emotions of love and affection, pleasure and self-contentment.(Is it fine)

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that my answers sound a bit odd. They are just OK. not up to very good. I think that I failed in getting glibness, and beauty of words, which a native English speaker could do. I mean if a native English speaker had to answer the questions, would he answer the same way I did? Apart from that I have some grammar perplexities. I have parenthesized my them. Could someone please please clarify them to me and help me answer the questions as an expert grammarian could do so.

Post Thanks / Like

So, Could someone please help me?