Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Grammar

  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default Grammar

    What is the adjective for practical?

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Um, practical is an adjective. The noun form would, I suppose, be practicality.

    :)

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,939
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Um, practical is an adjective. The noun form would, I suppose, be practicality.

    :)
    Yes, and the not-too-popular "practicalness".

  4. #4
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,699
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    'Pactical' can be a noun of sorts- I'm taking a practical next week. Admittedly this is cheating a bit.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    'Pactical' can be a noun of sorts- I'm taking a practical next week. Admittedly this is cheating a bit.
    Practical as noun is used by only BE, isn't it?

    practical: a lesson or exam in science or technology in which students have to do or make things, not just read or write about them.


    :wink:

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,939
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    'Pactical' can be a noun of sorts- I'm taking a practical next week. Admittedly this is cheating a bit.
    Practical as noun is used by only BE, isn't it?

    practical: a lesson or exam in science or technology in which students have to do or make things, not just read or write about them.


    :wink:
    It also exists in AE.

    Main Entry:2practical
    Pronunciation:*
    Function:noun
    Inflected Form:-s

    : an examination requiring demonstration of some practical skill

Similar Threads

  1. what is the base of Grammar in English?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Sep-2009, 10:58
  2. Teaching Grammar
    By Red5 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2007, 09:13
  3. corrections help
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2003, 17:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk