• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Default please correct this text

At the beginning of my holidays I went to USA. I decided to try to get a driver licence. I hoped I wouldn't have bad luck. Several days after my arrival to USA I went to DMV in New York. I wasn't nervous, I was rather satisfied. I paid 24$ for the driver licence. I didn't have to pay extra money or have a check-up. I was only examined with some clever device. I just had to look in sight and read the letters. That's all. In DMV I received free driver's textbook with information needed to pass a theoretical exam. It looked like that: I had to sit in front of the computer and answer 50 questions. I could have made 10 mistakes, but I did only 2. I was so happy. After that I had a permission to take driving lessons. Automatically, the date of my practical exam was fixed. Since that moment I was driving on the streets, car parks and practising. The condition was to drive with someone who has the NY state driving licence. I didn't have to attend this course but I wanted. After 2 months I entered for an exam with my friend's car. If somebody hadn't owned it, one could have rented it for 100$. The exam was very easy, much easier than it is in Poland. The most difficult was parallel parking, but a parking bay had american size, so I handled it without a problem. A driving examiner was great. I was driving about half an hour in the city. Then he ordered me to go to the Subway, so I did so. It turned out my examiner wanted to buy there a cheesburger, chips, salad and coke. I was very surprised and I thanked him warmly. My adventure ended with return to DMV and receiving my driving licence. In my opinion it is easier to pass driver licence exam in USA than in Poland.

rancher247 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please correct this text

Quote Originally Posted by pedro8686 View Post
    At the beginning of my holidays I went to USA. I decided to try to get a driver licence. I hoped I wouldn't have bad luck. Several days after my arrival to USA I went to the DMV in New York. I wasn't nervous, I was rather satisfied. I paid $24 for the driver licence. I didn't have to pay extra money or have a check-up. I was only examined with some clever device. I just had to look in sight and read the letters. At the DMV I received a free driver's textbook with information needed to pass a theoretical exam. It looked like that: I had to sit in front of the computer and answer 50 questions. I could have made 10 mistakes, but I did only 2. I was so happy. After that I had permission to take driving lessons. The date of my practical exam was fixed automatically. Since that moment I was driving on the streets, car parks and practising. I had to drive with someone who has the NY state driving licence. I didn't have to attend this course, but I wanted to. (What course are you talking about?) After two months, I entered for an exam with my friend's car. If somebody hadn't owned it, one could have rented it for $100. The exam was very easy, much easier than it is in Poland. The most difficult part was parallel parking, but a parking bay had american size, so I handled it without a problem. A driving examiner was great. I was driving about half an hour in the city. Then he ordered me to go to the Subway, so I did so. It turned out my examiner wanted to buy there a cheesburger, chips, salad and coke. I was very surprised and I thanked him warmly. (Did he give you food? I'm confused as to why you're thankful.) My adventure ended with returning to the DMV and receiving my driving licence. In my opinion it is easier to pass driver licence exam in USA than in Poland.
    A few questions:
    Do you want to write in AmE or British English? This determines word choice for words like vacation vs. holiday.
    The words I highlighted in blue are words that have different spellings depending on whether you want to use AmE or BrE.
    The words I highlighted in green are confusing to me. Could you explain what you mean for each of these phrases?

pedro8686 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please correct this text

First, thank you for your help!
    Second, I wanted to write it in BrE.
    Third, I translated this text from Polish into English for someone who wrote it in haste, so there could be some confusing sentences. Nevertheless, I will try to explain what they mean:
    - "had to look in sight" - the word "sight" is used there wrongly, there should be "an eyepiece"
    - "it looked like that" - I meant "The exam consisted of several steps"
    - "I could have made 10 mistakes" - can be "I could make" meaning "it was acceptable to make 10 mistakes"?
    - "a parking bay had american size" - means the place used for practising parking skills was bigger than those in Poland
    - "
    Did he give you food? I'm confused as to why you're thankful" - yes, I suppose the examiner was hungry so he bought some food and shared with the girl who was examined ;)