• Post Thanks / Like

substandard conditions

That is why I was deeply troubled by recent reports of substandard conditions at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

For more context (BBC NEWS | Americas | Bush intervenes in army scandal)

What does `substandard conditions' mean in this sentence?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: substandard conditions

"Substandard" means less than the norm. According to the article, there were insects and rodents at the hospital, which is certainly not acceptable at any medical facility. Therefore, the conditions were substandard.

"Substandard" can also describe something that is less than what a person is accustomed to. For example, for many years I attended a convention in Southport, England, at a Holiday Camp. The first time I went there and checked into my room, I turned on the light switch and nothing happened. I reported it to the management, who asked me "Did you put a coin in the meter?" Meter? What meter? It turns out there was an electricity meter that you had to put coins in if you wanted lights, heat or hot water. Well, in the US such a place would not be able to get a license as a public accommodation (any facility that charges money to house people must provide electricity at no extra cost). So I was not accustomed to such an arrangement, and to me, it was substandard.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    "Substandard" means less than the norm. According to the article, there were insects and rodents at the hospital, which is certainly not acceptable at any medical facility. Therefore, the conditions were substandard.

"Substandard" can also describe something that is less than what a person is accustomed to. For example, for many years I attended a convention in Southport, England, at a Holiday Camp. The first time I went there and checked into my room, I turned on the light switch and nothing happened. I reported it to the management, who asked me "Did you put a coin in the meter?" Meter? What meter? It turns out there was an electricity meter that you had to put coins in if you wanted lights, heat or hot water. Well, in the US such a place would not be able to get a license as a public accommodation (any facility that charges money to house people must provide electricity at no extra cost). So I was not accustomed to such an arrangement, and to me, it was substandard.
    Thank you
    As usual, you are always giving some good examples that makes me to understand very clearly even tough one.
    I will be always thankful to you.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like