Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    vladz Guest

    Default present or past?

    What should I use, buy or bought, for the sentence below?

    He will have recieved his change when he already receives the flower that he (buy / bought).

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd say:

    he will have received his change when he got the flowers he bought.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: present or past?

    Quote Originally Posted by vladz
    What should I use, buy or bought, for the sentence below?

    He will have recieved his change when he already receives the flower that he (buy / bought).
    The "already" is in the wrong place, IMO. The future perfect refers to an event that happens before some other event in the future.

    He will have already received his change when (by the time) he receives the flowers that he bought. I would use bought, because the financial transaction would be concluded before he receives the flowers.

  4. #4
    vladz Guest

    Default

    I appreciate your help. Thanks.

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'd say:

    he will have received his change when he got the flowers he bought.
    Any reason for choosing the past tense before flowers? :?

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vladz
    I appreciate your help. Thanks.
    You're welcome. :wink:

  7. #7
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'd say:

    he will have received his change when he got the flowers he bought.
    Any reason for choosing the past tense before flowers? :?
    It's that good old BE use of the future perfect for assumptions about a completed action.

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'd say:

    he will have received his change when he got the flowers he bought.
    Any reason for choosing the past tense before flowers? :?
    It's that good old BE use of the future perfect for assumptions about a completed action.
    Oh, yeah. I forgot. :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. The Hidden Evidence: The Past Family
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2003, 00:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •