• Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default questions again...

Need help again,,,,,and again....

1) What is "to frame a possibility"?

Is it the same as "prepare oneself to wish something good to happen" or some kind of "think positive"? If not use the verb "frame", what else can be used?

2) Pls help me explain the below sentence.

The music soars when a performer distinguishes the notes whose impulse carries the musicís structure from those that are purely decorative.

3) "how unfamiliar to him were all aspects of this venture" means something like "the problem he is not familiar is challenge"??

4) Pls explain "The only Grace you can have is the grace you can imagine."

and how about "Gracing yourself with responsibility for everything that happens in your life leaves your spirit whole, and leaves you free to choose again"??

5) "A beautiful Sonata escapes gravity." Does gravity here mean "strictness"? You know, some kind like "To play a beautiful Sonata, you need not to strictly play the notes". Just guess, ha ha.

Thanks!!

:D

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: questions again...

Quote Originally Posted by beeja
    Need help again,,,,,and again....

1) What is "to frame a possibility"?

Is it the same as "prepare oneself to wish something good to happen" or some kind of "think positive"? If not use the verb "frame", what else can be used?
    In this case "frame" is being used to mean "conceive" or "design". The framer is going to construct a possible solution or outcome or plan.

2) Pls help me explain the below sentence.

The music soars when a performer distinguishes the notes whose impulse carries the musicís structure from those that are purely decorative.
    This is saying that the music will be excellent when the performer understands the music well enough to understand which particular notes are the most important notes. he/she will then be able to emphasize those notes in a performance.

3) "how unfamiliar to him were all aspects of this venture" means something like "the problem he is not familiar is challenge"??
    It means that everything about that venture (undertaking, action, etc.) was unfamiliar to him (first time, no experience).

4) Pls explain "The only Grace you can have is the grace you can imagine."
    I'm not sure about this one. I think it means that you have to be able to imagine yourself being beautiful or talented, etc. before you can actually be beautiful or talented, etc.

and how about "Gracing yourself with responsibility for everything that happens in your life leaves your spirit whole, and leaves you free to choose again"??
    I would not use "gracing" there. This seems to be about taking responsibility for what happens to oneself.

5) "A beautiful Sonata escapes gravity." Does gravity here mean "strictness"? You know, some kind like "To play a beautiful Sonata, you need not to strictly play the notes". Just guess, ha ha.
    I don't think so. This "gravity" refers to a force that makes something heavy or weighty. Beautiful music is very light and soars to the heavens, metaphorically, of course. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

[quote="MikeNewYork"]

I would not use "gracing" there. This seems to be about taking responsibility for what happens to oneself.
    Well explained. But there is one point ( the above one)I can't quite understand why it shouldn't be suitable.

According to how I interpret the sentence, I think it's not just about taking responsibility for what happens to oneself but there is a deeper meaning in it. By using the word " gracing" the person is to some degree honoured.

:wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote="henry"]
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

Well explained. But there is one point ( the above one)I can't quite understand why it shouldn't be suitable.

According to how I interpret the sentence, I think it's not just about taking responsibility for what happens to oneself but there is a deeper meaning in it. By using the word " gracing" the person is to some degree honoured.

Yes, the honored part is clear, but the "with responsibility" is a bit problematic. I suspect one could be "honored" by being given more responsibility, but I'm not sure one can be honored with the responsibility for things that have occurred.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it is really suspecting, too. So let's hear what the others think of it.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by henry
    Yeah, it is really suspecting, too. So let's hear what the others think of it.

beeja is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so. This "gravity" refers to a force that makes something heavy or weighty. Beautiful music is very light and soars to the heavens, metaphorically, of course. :wink:
    Agree, but how about "Playing a piece of music is an exercise in antigravity"? how can you rewrite this sentence without using the word of "antigravity"?

:?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, but how about "Playing a piece of music is an exercise in antigravity"? how can you rewrite this sentence without using the word of "antigravity"?

:?
    I doubt that many would have written it with "antigravity". Nevertheless, it is a reasonably good metaphor.

There are many ways to create the impression that beautiful music is not supposed to be "heavy". Think of words such as: light, airy, buoyant, floating, soaring, ascend, weightless, etc.

Beautiful music is meant to ascend to the heavens, not to anchor a ship.

beeja is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful music is meant to ascend to the heavens, not to anchor a ship.

Wow, I love this! :D

Post Thanks / Like

"Gracing yourself with responsibility for everything that happens in your life leaves your spirit whole, and leaves you free to choose again"
    Without judging yourself, allow yourself to take responsibility for everything in your life.

In Christian belief, grace (n.) God's umerited favour, (vb.) the state of receiving this.

:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast