Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation The Google of (fill in the blank)

    First "google" became a verb. And now this:
    http://tinyurl.com/2fsv4o

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Google of (fill in the blank)

    I imagine this term was coined on the analogy of the BE idiom "the Rolls Royce of" (referring to an iconic high-quality motor car brand). Google shows "Google of" as outnumbering "Rolls Royce of" by about 3 hits to 2; but that corpus is rather biased. . BNC has "the Rolls Royce of" outnumbering "the Google of" by 4 hits to 0. And even Google, if restricted to UK pages, shows RR as outnumbering G.

    b

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Google of (fill in the blank)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I imagine this term was coined on the analogy of the BE idiom "the Rolls Royce of" (referring to an iconic high-quality motor car brand). Google shows "Google of" as outnumbering "Rolls Royce of" by about 3 hits to 2; but that corpus is rather biased. . BNC has "the Rolls Royce of" outnumbering "the Google of" by 4 hits to 0. And even Google, if restricted to UK pages, shows RR as outnumbering G.

    b

    I had not thought of "the Rolls Royce of" but rather, "the Cadillac of". ;)
    After reading your comparison above, I just checked for "the Cadillac of"
    and Google shows 10 million for it versus about 5.6 for "the Rolls Royce of".

  4. #4
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Google of (fill in the blank)

    On UK pages only:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 365 for "the Cadillac of".
    Results 1 - 10 of about 33,800 for "the Rolls Royce of".

    Arrivistes

    b

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Google of (fill in the blank)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    On UK pages only:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 365 for "the Cadillac of".
    Results 1 - 10 of about 33,800 for "the Rolls Royce of".

    Arrivistes

    b
    Oh, I see. :)

    I learned a new word today (arrivistes).
    The meaning listed is "1. A person who has recently attained high position or great power but not general acceptance or respect; an upstart."
    I want to confirm that I understand it correctly. Do you mean RR is the
    arrivistes (in the context of the UK pages)? Sorry about being so thickheaded.

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Google of (fill in the blank)

    No, I was suggesting (jokingly - honest...) that Americans were - in that they coined 'the Cadillac of' on the analogy of 'the Rolls Royce of' and then spread 'their' phrase throughout the www (in spite of the superior engineering of the British car).



    b

    Another word to add to the list of words you've learnt today: chauvinist
    chauvinism, chauvinist, chauvinistic. The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993
    Last edited by BobK; 09-Mar-2007 at 16:07.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Google of (fill in the blank)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    No, I was suggesting (jokingly - honest...) that Americans were - in that they coined 'the Cadillac of' on the analogy of 'the Rolls Royce of' and then spread 'their' phrase throughout the www (in spite of the superior engineering of the British car).



    b

    Another word to add to the list of words you've learnt today: chauvinist
    chauvinism, chauvinist, chauvinistic. The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993
    OK. Thanks for explaining. Sorry about spoiling your joke.

Similar Threads

  1. fill in vs fill out
    By juliana0403 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Oct-2008, 21:47
  2. Fill in the blank.
    By kahhong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-May-2006, 04:09
  3. Business term: Can someone fill in the blank?
    By Nordic Bill in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2006, 17:18
  4. Fill in the blank
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jan-2005, 13:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •