Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: homework

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default homework

    hi everyone, I prepare for my M.A , I want to focus on Homework ; it's advantages and disadvantages. but I can't find the starting point in my research. Could anyone help me in this?, may be by suggesting new activities or even A theoritical background about homework.
    thank you

  2. #2
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: homework

    Quote Originally Posted by huda23 View Post
    hi everyone, I prepare for my M.A , I want to focus on Homework ; it's advantages and disadvantages. but I can't find the starting point in my research. Could anyone help me in this?, may be by suggesting new activities or even A theoritical background about homework.
    thank you
    Hi, Huda!
    The main disadvantage of the homework is that it's done at home and the student can ask someone else to do it for him. We can call it the main advantage of the homework because the students have enough time to do it at home. As for me I don't give special hometask to students knowing that most of them copy it and it's a waste of time to check it in class. As a teacher of English I tell my students to use the knowledge they get in class t in life situations( I mean speak English as much as it's possible).
    I hope I helped a little. I'd be very happy to hear from you.
    Best wishes Harry Smith

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: homework

    hi Harry, thank you for replying ,you know i deeply respect your opinions because i know how skillful you are as a teacher and i was very pleased when i saw your reply .Actually i agree with you in everything you said because when i give my students a homework , they just copy the words but when i ask them for instance about spelling of words which they write , many of them don't answer , so it's a waste of time , but when i give them a simple activity ,e.g, circle the odd one out or choose or rearrange or complete , they become very happy and they do it.but what was i asking for is some new activities for homework ,what makes homework really useful because honestly i can't find an idea for my M.A until now so i think of a comparative study between the traditional homework and to design some new activities for homework and to compare between both ways and find what will be the result ?, so what do you think about this Harry , is this idea good or it is better to start searching for anew idea
    Thank you in advance

  4. #4
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: homework

    Quote Originally Posted by huda23 View Post
    hi Harry, thank you for replying ,you know i deeply respect your opinions because i know how skillful you are as a teacher and i was very pleased when i saw your reply .Actually i agree with you in everything you said because when i give my students a homework , they just copy the words but when i ask them for instance about spelling of words which they write , many of them don't answer , so it's a waste of time , but when i give them a simple activity ,e.g, circle the odd one out or choose or rearrange or complete , they become very happy and they do it.but what was i asking for is some new activities for homework ,what makes homework really useful because honestly i can't find an idea for my M.A until now so i think of a comparative study between the traditional homework and to design some new activities for homework and to compare between both ways and find what will be the result ?, so what do you think about this Harry , is this idea good or it is better to start searching for anew idea
    Thank you in advance
    Yes, I think you are on the right way. Go on like this. I believe that you can
    find a way out. If anything interesting comes to my mind I'll write you. Cheers!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: homework

    Thank you Harry for your supportive words and i will try to do my best.

    Thank you again.

  6. #6
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: homework

    Quote Originally Posted by huda23 View Post
    Thank you Harry for your supportive words and i will try to do my best.

    Thank you again.
    You are very very welcome! I was just thinking about you.

Similar Threads

  1. Help on homework
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2006, 13:00
  2. U.S. homework outsourced as "e-tutoring" grows
    By englishstudent in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2006, 08:38
  3. Please correct my homework
    By Alexandre in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Apr-2006, 05:14
  4. Help with 5th grade homework Please!
    By karissadewey in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2006, 23:07
  5. English homework help
    By terisha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2006, 02:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •