Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: homework

• Post Thanks / Like

homework

hi everyone, I prepare for my M.A , I want to focus on Homework ; it's advantages and disadvantages. but I can't find the starting point in my research. Could anyone help me in this?, may be by suggesting new activities or even A theoritical background about homework.
    thank you

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: homework

Quote Originally Posted by huda23 View Post
    hi everyone, I prepare for my M.A , I want to focus on Homework ; it's advantages and disadvantages. but I can't find the starting point in my research. Could anyone help me in this?, may be by suggesting new activities or even A theoritical background about homework.
    thank you
    Hi, Huda!
    The main disadvantage of the homework is that it's done at home and the student can ask someone else to do it for him. We can call it the main advantage of the homework because the students have enough time to do it at home. As for me I don't give special hometask to students knowing that most of them copy it and it's a waste of time to check it in class. As a teacher of English I tell my students to use the knowledge they get in class t in life situations( I mean speak English as much as it's possible).
    I hope I helped a little. I'd be very happy to hear from you.
    Best wishes Harry Smith

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: homework

hi Harry, thank you for replying ,you know i deeply respect your opinions because i know how skillful you are as a teacher and i was very pleased when i saw your reply .Actually i agree with you in everything you said because when i give my students a homework , they just copy the words but when i ask them for instance about spelling of words which they write , many of them don't answer , so it's a waste of time , but when i give them a simple activity ,e.g, circle the odd one out or choose or rearrange or complete , they become very happy and they do it.but what was i asking for is some new activities for homework ,what makes homework really useful because honestly i can't find an idea for my M.A until now so i think of a comparative study between the traditional homework and to design some new activities for homework and to compare between both ways and find what will be the result ?, so what do you think about this Harry , is this idea good or it is better to start searching for anew idea
    Thank you in advance

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

hi Harry, thank you for replying ,you know i deeply respect your opinions because i know how skillful you are as a teacher and i was very pleased when i saw your reply .Actually i agree with you in everything you said because when i give my students a homework , they just copy the words but when i ask them for instance about spelling of words which they write , many of them don't answer , so it's a waste of time , but when i give them a simple activity ,e.g, circle the odd one out or choose or rearrange or complete , they become very happy and they do it.but what was i asking for is some new activities for homework ,what makes homework really useful because honestly i can't find an idea for my M.A until now so i think of a comparative study between the traditional homework and to design some new activities for homework and to compare between both ways and find what will be the result ?, so what do you think about this Harry , is this idea good or it is better to start searching for anew idea
    Thank you in advance
    Yes, I think you are on the right way. Go on like this. I believe that you can
    find a way out. If anything interesting comes to my mind I'll write you. Cheers!

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: homework

Thank you Harry for your supportive words and i will try to do my best.

Thank you again.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Harry for your supportive words and i will try to do my best.

Thank you again.
    You are very very welcome! I was just thinking about you.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Harry and i will try to be a good teacher just like you , i hope to do this , to make something useful in my life.

• Post Thanks / Like

I like to give out relevant homework. I don't give writing homework to people who write well...I try to aim all homework at the weakest spot.

• Post Thanks / Like

hi pappamouse, you are right in what you said , homework must differ from one pupil to another , some pupils are weak in writing , other are in speaking , etc. We must concentrate on the weakest point in our pupils . Homework isn't aduty for us as teachers or for students , it must be a funny activity for them that aims to develop their language and help them to love what you teach.
    thank you for your contribution.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Huda!
    I just came across your thread "homework" and I had an idea. What if you change the word "homework" into "hometask" or "home assignment'.
    I just want to say that children should have a home assignment, not homework because we must give them some creative task to do at home. Such tasks are making reports or projects, writing short stories etc. A kind of hometask, I used to give many years ago , is to listen to the news on TV or watch a film and then discuss in class. That's all for now. Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast