farooq is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vocabulary mistake

I finally got to that philosophy class I was telling you about. It wasn't easy. It's a required course and there is no way to get around it. The professor, Dr. Schmitt, seems very good, but I think his class is going to be quite a challenge.

Yesterday was the first day of the course. He gave everyone in the class a syllabus describing the homework and the exams. I couldn't believe how much he expects us to do. Several of the students immediately got
    up and left the room. After they were gone, Professor Schmitt started asking the remaining students philosophical questions. They all had great answers, but then he got tome. "What is art?" he asked me. I tried to answer him, but I couldn't get across what I wanted to say to him. He smiled at me and got out three or four art books . He passed the art books around and asked us to discuss the question in groups. The people in my discussion group were really great; we all really enjoyed debating the question. Since we got through
    so well, we have decided to form a study group, so we can help each other get along this class.

I know my grades haven't been the best, but with the help of this study group I should be able to get
    together it and do better this semester. Well I need to get into work and finish my assignments for tomorrow. Everybody take care, and I'll see you at Thanksgiving.

Sorry Sir I have mistake to dont sent correctly and clearley fourm I hope youll forgive me because you are bigger and Im little
    • Sir I have done but not sure some of we cussess and only to three we read our clearly thinging but If you Explain me that which word have come that place and that reason and ect
    You know better me you are experience and kindly and Im

Sir this is British english or USA please read us
    Some body tell me dont read you now beacause it says that if you read english UsA
    You feel puzzel British enlgish and USA Because I m studding through Brithish rouls at college
    Again thanks for helpping for all the thing
    God bless you all in you happy life forever
    I want to prmisstion
    See you at thanksgiving with mail.
    See you

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vocabulary mistake

Quote Originally Posted by farooq View Post
    I finally got into that philosophy class I was telling you about. It wasn't easy. It's a required course and there is no way to get around it. The professor, Dr. Schmitt, seems very good, but I think his class is going to be quite a challenge.
    Yesterday was the first day of the course. He gave everyone in the class a syllabus describing the homework and the exams. I couldn't believe how much he expects us to do. Several of the students immediately got
    up and left the room. After they were gone, Professor Schmitt started asking the remaining students philosophical questions. They all had great answers, but then he got tome. "What is art?" he asked me. I tried to answer him, but I couldn't get across what I wanted to say to him. He smiled at me and got out three or four art books . He passed the art books around and asked us to discuss the question in groups. The people in my discussion group were really great; we all really enjoyed debating the question. Since we got along
    so well, we have decided to form a study group, so we can help each other get through this class.
    I know my grades haven't been the best, but with the help of this study group I should be able to get it [Sorry - I misled you; the space should have been after the "it"] together and do better this semester. Well I need to get back to work and finish my assignments for tomorrow. Everybody take care, and I'll see you at Thanksgiving.

Good try Farooq. I'm afraid I didn't understand much of the rest of your post, but I got the gist [=main ideas]. This is an American exercise - the word 'Thanksgiving' tells us that, and other details about the education system are also a clue. And the expression 'get it together' is originally American - though it's used, informally, in British English. However, I'm a British English teacher.

b

PS
    New readers: this follows on from http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...blary-ask.html , which gave the 10 expressions to fit into the blanks.