• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

About abortion, labor union, and how the bill is passed ?

Hello Everyone,

Today I would like to inquire of you about labor union, abortion and how a bill is passed by congress in the US.

First question is about the labor union in the US.
    There are labor unions in factories in China, but is not the organization maintaining workers’ interests. If workers interests are violated, the union has no role in upholding justices for employees as the union, as a matter of fact, are controlled by the government or the employers.
    I would like to know how the labor union works in the US. For example, if the employee demand that their wages, benefits or pensions should be increased, however , the employer think otherwise. Then what role will the labor union play here? Can you please explain it to me?

Next question is related to abortion in the US.
    In China abortion is legal. One can get an abortion whenever they want and without getting the judicial consent from the department concerned. Can you tell me here if an American want an abortion, will she apply for the approval from the related department prior to the abortion ?

The last question is about how a bill is passed by the Congress in the US?
    For example, Several years ago US attacked Iraq. I think the approval must have been secured by congress before the action is taken. I would like to know what role the president, the senate, and the house play in the determination of the bill? If the president hold the opinion that the military action should be taken, while the congress(both senate and house) were against that, then how was the bill finally passed?

Thanks and best regards

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: About abortion, labor union, and how the bill is passed ?

First question is about the labor union in the US.
    There are labor unions in factories in China, but is not the organization maintaining workers’ interests. If workers interests are violated, the union has no role in upholding justices for employees as the union, as a matter of fact, are controlled by the government or the employers.
    I would like to know how the labor union works in the US. For example, if the employee demand that their wages, benefits or pensions should be increased, however , the employer think otherwise. Then what role will the labor union play here? Can you please explain it to me?

Labor unions in the US are meant to advocate on behalf of the employee. Unionized companies sign a contract that is negotiated in advance between management and union officials, and they must abide by the terms of the contract. For example, if the contract states that employees must be allowed one hour for lunch every day, and a boss decides to cut that time down to 30 minutes, the employees have the right to walk off the job (without penalty) until the terms of their contract are met.

Wages, benefits and pensions are also determined in advance by what is called "collective bargaining" between management and union representatives. The amounts and terms are then included in the workers' contract and must be abided to by the employer. Sometimes, if a company is in financial trouble, management will request to meet with the union and re-negotiate the terms of the contract. They will ask workers to make certain concessions (perhaps a cut in wage increases or bonuses), and the union will barter back and forth until a compromise is agreed upon.

Next question is related to abortion in the US.
    In China abortion is legal. One can get an abortion whenever they want and without getting the judicial consent from the department concerned. Can you tell me here if an American want an abortion, will she apply for the approval from the related department prior to the abortion ?

Abortion is always a touchy subject in the US. It was legalized in 1973 after the Roe versus Wade Supreme Court judgement. However, the Supreme Court decision gave each individual state to determine how late into the pregnancy a woman can terminate. In some states, a woman cannot abort during the third trimester unless the mother's life is threatened by continuing the pregnancy.

In a standard first trimester situation, a woman needs no permission from anyone to terminate a pregnancy. However, most doctors and clinics require that she have professional counseling first and then wait 24 hours (in case she wants to change her mind) before having the procedure.

The last question is about how a bill is passed by the Congress in the US?
    For example, Several years ago US attacked Iraq. I think the approval must have been secured by congress before the action is taken. I would like to know what role the president, the senate, and the house play in the determination of the bill? If the president hold the opinion that the military action should be taken, while the congress(both senate and house) were against that, then how was the bill finally passed?

This site can explain it better than I:
    Project Vote Smart - GOVERNMENT 101: How a Bill Becomes Law

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: About abortion, labor union, and how the bill is passed ?

First ,thank you very much for your kind reply!

I have a few more questions about the labor union here .

1. When a new business is first established, then who will come out to establish the labor union?
    2. How are the Union representatives are selected out?
    3. And I think there must a general labor union in the Union States, and in each individual state a branch labor union. Is that so? If there is the general union and the branch labor union, can you tell me what is the relationship among them. And before a strike is launched statewide or nationwide, where is the permission obtained from?

Thanks and best regards!