• American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx83
    Moreover, I was told from his previous employer that he was always setting himself high standards(unfortunately, sometimes are rather too high), making him highly efficient and constantly evolving, . It seems I have forgotten to comment some other activities he does, for example, he plays tennis on a regular basis and also he is at the point of taking up french lessons nowadays languages are more and more useful in this competitive society, or to be more accurate in this working world.
    • I was told by his previous employer that he was always setting himself high standards for himself. He is an efficient worker, and he never stops learning on the job. He is now taking French lessons--at least partly to help him in his future career.

I don't know how relevant it is what a previous employer said. Perhaps Mike can comment on that.

I think it is appropriate to include positive comments from another source. It makes the letter more personal and suggests that the writer has done a thorough job in researching the candidate. I agree with your deletion of the parenthetical negative spin on that comment. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

thanks again! :) I'm grateful, though I'm realising I won't be able to cope with the writing part.

See you!

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks again! :) I'm grateful, though I'm realising I won't be able to cope with the writing part.

See you!
    You're welcome.

Don't be discouraged. Keep writing and receiving corrections. Your writing will improve over time. :wink:

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thaks a lot!

I've told writing was my weakest point! :(
    You're welcome. Please look at this:
    • I was told by his previous employer that he was always setting himself high standards for himself.

You don't need the first "himself" there. That was an error on my part.

:)

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Moreover, I was told from his previous employer that he was always setting himself high standards(unfortunately, sometimes are rather too high), making him highly efficient and constantly evolving, . It seems I have forgotten to comment some other activities he does, for example, he plays tennis on a regular basis and also he is at the point of taking up french lessons nowadays languages are more and more useful in this competitive society, or to be more accurate in this working world.
    • I was told by his previous employer that he was always setting himself high standards for himself. He is an efficient worker, and he never stops learning on the job. He is now taking French lessons--at least partly to help him in his future career.

I don't know how relevant it is what a previous employer said. Perhaps Mike can comment on that.

I think it is appropriate to include positive comments from another source. It makes the letter more personal and suggests that the writer has done a thorough job in researching the candidate. I agree with your deletion of the parenthetical negative spin on that comment. :wink:
    Thanks, Mike. You're probably right, since you know more about that kind of thing than I do. I do think that the longer a person has worked at his present (or most recent) job the less relevant becomes anything a previous employer might say. Also, anything relayed by a second party is not likely to be as accurate as something from the horse's mouth.

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

Thanks, Mike. You're probably right, since you know more about that kind of thing than I do. I do think that the longer a person has worked at his present (or most recent) job the less relevant becomes anything a previous employer might say. Also, anything relayed by a second party is not likely to be as accurate as something from the horse's mouth.
    I agree with all of that, also. :wink:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2