1. Erica23

Question Backyard /house description

Hi,

I have difficulty translating what I want to describe using the dictionary. I found the word backyard, not sure what it means exactly.

I am not sure how to descibe the following What I am trying to describe is an area at the back of my house, after the kitchen door. There is a bench outside, tomato plants and flowers and also a couple of chairs and a table around a small 'fountain', not sure if I should call it fountain because it is not that big....The area is about 7 m x 8m then there is a gate (also not sure if I should call it a gate) then a place to park 2 cars outside the house.

Based on my description, is the following correct : She opened the gate, got in the house and she stayed on the bench in the backyard because nobody was there to open the kitchen door for her. There is a nice table and chairs next to the foutain but she just sat on that bench for an hour, when I came home the gate was open, I couldn't see her so I was scared'

Sorry about the long post

Thanks a lot

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backyard /house description

I know that in Canada and the States, "backyard" is the most common term, but I believe in the U.K., the area is referred to as the "garden" ("garden" is a much more specific term in Canada/the U.S.). Therefore, backyard is fine, but...she did not "got in the house" because it was locked, so you should not include that bit!

Good luck!

• Post Thanks / Like

A 'garden' is usually full of plants (except Japanese gardens) and always a place for pleasure, while a yard is paved/concreted/ gravelled and intended more for utility, though it may be different in other countries.

As your description mentions plants, tables, and a fountain I would probably use garden as it sounds like a place to sit and relax.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

• Post Thanks / Like

Is it a sort of patio? And I imagine the gate is a wooden gate.
    Last edited by queenbu; 10-Mar-2007 at 22:54.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by queenbu View Post
    Is it a sort of patio? And I imagine the gate is a wooden gate.
    Words like this can be country specific (Singapore estate agents advertise 3 storey bungalows!), but as an English person a lpatio is a relatively small, raised, paved area attached to the house, and surrounded by garden.

I have read of Italian families having huge family dinners on the patio, so maybe the concept is different there.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Whitehead View Post
    Words like this can be country specific (Singapore estate agents advertise 3 storey bungalows!), but as an English person a lpatio is a relatively small, raised, paved area attached to the house, and surrounded by garden.
    I have read of Italian families having huge family dinners on the patio, so maybe the concept is different there.
    Hello Andrew- I like that one about the three storey bungalow.
    Re 'patio'
    1. It was just a suggestion. After all, we don't know where our Erica comes from.
    2. I have never heard it used in Italy. In fact the equivalent in Italy would be 'terrazza'. It is used in Malta though and it is of Spanish origin, it seems.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by queenbu View Post
    Hello Andrew- I like that one about the three storey bungalow.
    Re 'patio'
    1. It was just a suggestion. After all, we don't know where our Erica comes from.
    2. I have never heard it used in Italy. In fact the equivalent in Italy would be 'terrazza'. It is used in Malta though and it is of Spanish origin, it seems.
    I can't speak Italian (yet!), so my encounters with Italian patios have been references in English, by English people - cookery programmes, films, travel books etc. - so maybe they refer to a 'terrazza' as a patio for want of a better word.

When I said 'country specific' I was thinking of the concept, I didn't mean to suggest that every language calls them call them patios...