Post Thanks / Like

reading different books is different

Hi
    I was reading a one-thousand-page book "Fundamental of physics" which is in english,when my sister ,who just started studying English literature, asked me about a sentence in her classic book. Actually, I couldnt understand the structure of the sentence. It was totally unknown to me . Then I took the book, my sister's book that about " English literature " ,there were a lot of words i didnt know the arrangement of some sentences was weird.
    I said to myself, I always read english books of physics,math and engineering and I never found any difficulties but many lines of this book I couldnt understand.
    Where's the problem? Why is there difference between reading a book in science and politics and literature...
    Is there any way to help being familiar with such things?
    Somebody told it is just about vocabualeries

queenbu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: reading different books is different

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse20 View Post
    Hi
    I was reading a one-thousand-page book "Fundamental of physics" which is in english,when my sister ,who just started studying English literature, asked me about a sentence in her classic book. Actually, I couldnt understand the structure of the sentence. It was totally unknown to me . Then I took the book, my sister's book that about " English literature " ,there were a lot of words i didnt know the arrangement of some sentences was weird.
    I said to myself, I always read english books of physics,math and engineering and I never found any difficulties but many lines of this book I couldnt understand.
    Where's the problem? Why is there difference between reading a book in science and politics and literature...
    Is there any way to help being familiar with such things?
    Somebody told it is just about vocabualeries
    Hello Jesse,
    I remember 'Fundamentals of Physics' well! You have set a good question which I'm sure the experts will answer. I understand what you mean because I studied Maths and Chemistry at university, I had all text books in English and English lecturers as well. But that doesn't mean that I'm able to do a literary criticism as well as someone who studies literature. In Maths and Physics we are using the language for a specific purpose, we're not studying the language. We just use the language as a tool. It's a means to an end. Being on this forum has made me appreciate that there is a lot to learn about the English language.
    We'll see what comments we'll get.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks queenbu
    So, you suggest I should study literature
    I really dont think I can I rather learn Frensh or Italian languages than studying literature, in purpose of using them.
    Does this website really help you that much queenbu?
    Thanks again

queenbu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse20 View Post
    Thanks queenbu
    So, you suggest I should study literature
    I really dont think I can I rather learn Frensh or Italian languages than studying literature, in purpose of using them.
    Does this website really help you that much queenbu?
    Thanks again
    Hello Jesse, I'm not suggesting you study literature. What you can do is read other books apart from textbooks. Physics and Maths books won't really help you learn English. The English in those books is a secondary matter.Everything helps of course, but novels and classics will help you learn English more. Watching films in English will help too.
    Well, my English wasn't limited to textbooks. I have always loved reading and I grew up in a country where English is used as a second language but from this forum I am learning more every day.

Good luck!