Post Thanks / Like

Default as also a lens and forceps lying on the chair.

It was christmas time. Dr. Watson called upon his friend Sherlock Holmes to give him the complements of the season. He found him louging on a sofa, with a pile of crumpled morning papers, recently read, by his side. He did not fail to notice an old and dirty hat, cracked in several places as also a lens and forceps lying on the chair.

Please explain the higlighted group of words.

Also, please tell the meaning of underlined words because dictionary meaning is not appropriate in my sentence, I think so.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: as also a lens and forceps lying on the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    It was christmas time. Dr. Watson called upon his friend Sherlock Holmes to give him the compliments of the season. He found him louging on a sofa, with a pile of crumpled morning papers, recently read, by his side. He did not fail to notice an old and dirty hat, cracked in several places, as also a lens and forceps lying on the chair.

Please explain the higlighted group of words.

Also, please tell the meaning of underlined words because dictionary meaning is not appropriate in my sentence, I think so.
    At Christmas time, we say Happy / Merry Christmas - this is the compliments of the season

crumpled = crushed together/untidy = there is a pile of untidy and crushed newspapers lying beside him

an old and dirty hat, cracked in several places = an old hat which is damaged.

Forceps = medical tweezers with long thin blades

Beside Holmes on a chair lie a magnifying glass ("lens") and medical tweezers ("forceps").

Gary, Perhaps you could indicate what your dictionary gives as meanings when you ask about words in this way.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

(You need Anglika's comma before 'as', as without it the lens and forceps would be cracked too. With the comma, in this context, 'as also' is a shortened way of saying 'and he also did not fail to notice...'.

b
    Last edited by BobK; 13-Mar-2007 at 14:26. Reason: Added last sentence to clarify old usage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

Gary, Perhaps you could indicate what your dictionary gives as meanings when you ask about words in this way.
    Thank you very much for your help in my past, present and future threads.

I accept your advice.
    Next time I will do.
    Last edited by user_gary; 13-Mar-2007 at 15:37.