Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Eway is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default wait and waiting?

    "I'm sorry to keep you wait."
    and
    "I'm sorry to keep you waiting."
    Which is correct??...I've seen both... :(

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The second is correct. I think the first should be 'make you wait'. In British English we don't use the first.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: wait and waiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    "I'm sorry to keep you wait."
    and
    "I'm sorry to keep you waiting."
    Which is correct??...I've seen both... :(
    I agree with TDOL. The first is incorrect in American English also. :wink:

  4. #4
    Eway is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: wait and waiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    "I'm sorry to keep you wait."
    and
    "I'm sorry to keep you waiting."
    Which is correct??...I've seen both... :(
    I agree with TDOL. The first is incorrect in American English also. :wink:
    Is that because the verb after "keep" should be in Ving form?

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: wait and waiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Eway
    "I'm sorry to keep you wait."
    and
    "I'm sorry to keep you waiting."
    Which is correct??...I've seen both... :(
    I agree with TDOL. The first is incorrect in American English also. :wink:
    Is that because the verb after "keep" should be in Ving form?
    Yes. In this case, the verbal is a (-ing) participle. :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. wait vs wait for
    By whl626 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2004, 14:39
  2. keep/have kept
    By Astro-D in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2003, 16:44
  3. pretty big story:(
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2003, 23:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk