Thread: guest-worker

Post Thanks / Like

Default guest-worker

President Bush is unlikely to offer more concessions other than his already stated desire for a guest-worker programme for Mexicans living illegally in the US.

What does `guest-worker' mean in this sentence?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: guest-worker

guest-worker means that the worker come from the other countries, maybe here means the illeagal immigrant from Mexico

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A guest worker is someone working illegally in a country other than the one in which they were born. In the US, there is a large amount of Mexicans in the country illegally. They usually hold menial jobs and are paid in cash, because since they are illegal, they cannot get the necessary paperwork to be paid at least minimum wage and receive health benefits, etc. On the other hand, they are earning money in the US and not paying any taxes as US citizens must do on their earnings.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

In Europe, the term "guest worker" is used for workers from other countries, most of whom are on temporary contracts and all of whom are using the better pay to support their families in their own countries. It is a legal situation.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    In Europe, the term "guest worker" is used for workers from other countries, most of whom are on temporary contracts and all of whom are using the better pay to support their families in their own countries. It is a legal situation.
    I think the European usage, and indeed the phrase itself - being a word-for-word translation of the German Gastarbeiter - is a reference to the position of Turkish immigrants to Germany at the time; at least, that's the first context I met it in.

b

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely - but it does seem to have a legal aspect, whereas in the US it appears to have become attached to illegal immigrants, though Gary's quote indicates that the US Government is seeking to make their illegal situation a legal one through some kind of employment programme..

Post Thanks / Like

...Gary's quote indicates that the US Government is seeking to make their illegal situation a legal one through some kind of employment programme..
    I believe, but I could be mistaken, the semantics of 'guest-worker' stem from a strategy on the part of the Bush administration to gain votes from illegal immigrants in the past election.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like these guest-workers are temporarily permitted to work in the US which is why they are called "guest."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I think the keyword here is "temporary."

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    I believe, but I could be mistaken, the semantics of 'guest-worker' stem from a strategy on the part of the Bush administration to gain votes from illegal immigrants in the past election.
    You are probably right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by alikarabulut View Post
    It sounds like these guest-workers are temporarily permitted to work in the US which is why they are called "guest."
    Yes, I agree. Such as a guest in your home is not a permanent resident, a guest in most other cases is only temporary.