Post Thanks / Like

ambit of the panel.

The Indo-Pak Joint Anti-Terror Mechanism is just a few days old, but the fault lines in it are already beginning to show.

India maintains that all terrorist acts on Indian soil fall within the ambit of the panel.
    [I have already looked into dicationary for the meanings of (ambit, panel) but I can't understand (ambit of panel)]

So, please you explain the highlighted group of words.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ambit of the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    The Indo-Pak Joint Anti-Terror Mechanism is just a few days old, but the fault lines in it are already beginning to show.

India maintains that all terrorist acts on Indian soil fall within the ambit of the panel.
    [I have already looked into dicationary for the meanings of (ambit, panel) but I can't understand (ambit of panel)]

So, please you explain the highlighted group of words.

Indo-Pak Joint Anti-Terror Mechanism This is the title for a joint initiative between India and Pakistan to investigate and deal with terrorism

Fault line :
    a rock fracture which show evidence of movement - used in this article as a metaphor to indicate that the Joint Mechanism is not working very well.

Ambit = the extent of something, the limits of something, the scope of something (scope=extent of relevant subject matter).
    the panel = probably here means the group of Indian officials within the "Mechanism"

So - the "ambit of the panel" = the Indian officials should deal with terrorism within India {and the Pakistani officials therefore should deal only with terrorism within Pakistan}