• China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default grammar and vocabulary

Dear teachers,
    I have two questions to ask.

1. Please read the following sentence:

Hormones do more than influence adult behavior: early in life they hlp to determine the development of bodily form and may even determine and individula's behavioral capacities.

My question concerns with 'Hornones do more than influence adult....'. Is this an emphatic sentence with the basic structure ' Hormones do influence adult...' or comparative? It seems like comparative, but I can't find the structure in my grammar book. I only know the pattern ' more than, less than, or worse than+adj.'

Could you please tell me if there is a pattern that 'more than' can connect two verbs?

2. I know the word advocate to refer to a person . Now in my exercise book I came across the word 'advocator'. Trying to see the difference between the two words I consulted my dictionary complied by Chinese lexicographers only to find the definitions or translations of the two words are the same. Could you please tell me the difference between the two? I'd like to say I couldn't find 'advocator' in my English-English dictionary. Does it suggest it is not as often used as 'advocate?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: grammar and vocabulary

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    2. I know the word advocate to refer to a person. Now in my exercise book I came across the word 'advocator'. Trying to see the difference between the two words I consulted my dictionary complied by Chinese lexicographers only to find the definitions or translations of the two words are the same. Could you please tell me the difference between the two? I'd like to say I couldn't find 'advocator' in my English-English dictionary. Does it suggest it is not as often used as 'advocate?
    They are one and the same word. The noun advocate is first recorded in 1340, whereas the verb to advocate followed in 1641. That is, the noun 'advocate' (note pronunciation, advocIt) was made into a verb (note, advoc[e]t. Moreover, since in English, the suffix -or is added to verbs to form nouns e.g. advise (vb.) -> advisor, I suspect the same process or rule was applied to advocate (vb.) -> advocator (n.), originally advocate (n.).

:)

www.etymonline.com

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your explanation.
    Jiang
    Dear teachers,

Hormones do more than influence adult behavior: early in life they hlp to determine the development of bodily form and may even determine and individula's behavioral capacities.

My question concerns with 'Hornones do more than influence adult....'. Is this an emphatic sentence with the basic structure ' Hormones do influence adult...' or comparative? It seems like comparative, but I can't find the structure in my grammar book. I only know the pattern ' more than, less than, or worse than+adj.'

Could you please tell me if there is a pattern that 'more than' can connect two verbs?

2. I know the word advocate to refer to a person . Now in my exercise book I came across the word 'advocator'. Trying to see the difference between the two words I consulted my dictionary complied by Chinese lexicographers only to find the definitions or translations of the two words are the same. Could you please tell me the difference between the two? I'd like to say I couldn't find 'advocator' in my English-English dictionary. Does it suggest it is not as often used as 'advocate?

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear teachers,

The use of "do" in that sentence is not the emphatic do. It is the use of "do" as normal verb (meaning "perform a function"). This is a bit different than other uses of "more than". It is not the same as "three is more than two". In your sentence "more" is a noun and it is the object of "do".

"More than" can be used to connect two verbs in other constructions.
    As a singer, John is known to belt more than croon.
    When I exercise, I walk more than run.

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang
    I agree with Cas on this part. :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your explanation.
    If more is a noun in this case then the whole sentence could be 'Hornones do more than they influence adult...'. Am I right?
    Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Dear teachers,

The use of "do" in that sentence is not the emphatic do. It is the use of "do" as normal verb (meaning "perform a function"). This is a bit different than other uses of "more than". It is not the same as "three is more than two". In your sentence "more" is a noun and it is the object of "do".

"More than" can be used to connect two verbs in other constructions.
    As a singer, John is known to belt more than croon.
    When I exercise, I walk more than run.

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang
    I agree with Cas on this part. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

If more is a noun in this case then the whole sentence could be 'Hornones do more than they influence adult...'. Am I right?
    Hormones do more than [just] influence adult behavior: [They also] help to determine the development of bodily form and may even determine and individula's behavioral capacities. :D

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Jiang
    I agree with Cas's response. You cannot put the "they" there in that sentence. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

Hormones do more than influence adult behavior: help to determine the development of bodily form and may even determine and individula's behavioral capacities.
    What about looking at it this way?

1. Hormones influence adult behavior.
    (Subject+Verb+Object)

2. Hormones do more than influence adult behavior
    (Subject+Adverb+Verb+Object)

do more than (verb+object in form, adverb in function) :)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Hormones do more than influence adult behavior: help to determine the development of bodily form and may even determine and individula's behavioral capacities.

(Subject+Verb+Object)

Hmmm. I see your point, but I think that is stretching the adverb designation a bit too far. :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you hold different opinions in that Casiopea thinks that 'more than' is an adverbial phrase. You think 'more' is a noun.

Is it correct to rewirte the sentence this way: What hormones do is more than influence adult behavior....'?

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

(Subject+Verb+Object)

Hmmm. I see your point, but I think that is stretching the adverb designation a bit too far. :wink:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast