flz is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how can I teach English to a 2 years old kid

Hi,
    I have got a 2 years old boy.and I want to teach him English.he can't also speak native language clearly.Can you advice me any kind of material,or a site to load songs or games in english?
    thanks a lot for your helps

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how can I teach English to a 2 years old kid

Quote Originally Posted by flz View Post
    Hi,
    I have got a 2 years old boy.and I want to teach him English.he can't also speak native language clearly.Can you advice me any kind of material,or a site to load songs or games in english?
    thanks a lot for your helps
    I think it's too early for him to start learning English. You should wait at least a year. If you lived in an English speaking country it would be ok. Let him speak his native tongue properly. Whenever you see he speaks Turkish fluently it's the time for you to start. You can write me. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I disagree, Harry. I think, the earlier, the better. Actually there must be loads of things on the subject on the Net.
    When my daughter was a little over two, she could recite "Yankee Doodle" and "Jack and Jill went up the hill...".
    She wasn't very enthusiastic, she asked me "Let's speak Russian"; I was too busy to keep teaching her, but I think those pieces she got then were useful anyway.
    The best way is to play with a child and speak English. Oh, it's a vast topic.

Regards.

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi,
    I disagree, Harry. I think, the earlier, the better. Actually there must be loads of things on the subject on the Net.
    When my daughter was a little over two, she could recite "Yankee Doodle" and "Jack and Jill went up the hill...".
    She wasn't very enthusiastic, she asked me "Let's speak Russian"; I was too busy to keep teaching her, but I think those pieces she got then were useful anyway.
    The best way is to play with a child and speak English. Oh, it's a vast topic.

Regards.
    Teaching poems is one thing. But teaching a two-year-old kid English is impossible. I've already written once how I taught my daughter to speak English. Rule number one. Never teach a kid a foreign language when he(she) can't speak his(her) native language. I starting teaching her at the age of three together with a group of kids in the kindergarten. She could speak two languages then: Russian and Armenian. And it's really very easy to teach a kid, isn't it?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

You can teach infants two languages, but it has to be absolutely defined, and it has to start right from the beginning. My brother and his German-speaking wife did it by her speaking German with the children when on her own with them, English being used when he was home. All three grew up completely bi-lingual.

The children went both to English and German schools, and coped easily in both. The only problem is that their written spelling is not too strong (in either language).

Teaching a 2-year old from cold seems much harder - but consistent use in particular situations is a start.

flz is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that teaching at this age is very hard as I don't live in an English speaking country.but I think he can learn the names of the objects or animals..etc even if he can't say them clearly..to teach them I need colourful,enjoyable flashcards , simple puzzles or songs so that I can take his attention. can u advice me any good site or book?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to find some stuff here: http://www.usingenglish.com/links/Te...ers/index.html

flz is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Harry, I think it's very nice that you want to share your experience on teaching English to children, and my heart goes out to you for not being able to teach English to a two year old, everyone fails every once in a while (out of my 100 or so students per semester usually 3 to 8 don't learn anything; sadly they don't see the importance of learning English) but we don't analize social trends by looking at individual cases. We need to look at the norm. Studies have shown that children learn new languages best, the earlier the better (just look up any Choamsky manuscript). Flz, just expose her to the language. Don't try to 'teach' hiom or her in formal style anything beyond basic vocabulary. You can start with building vocabulary, then just talk to him or her about what he or she likes. Remember that as children acquire a new language they make mistakes, and as they hear the adults speaking the language they internalize these corrections. If she says "Look it be a bow-wow" say "Yes, it is a dog" and stuff like that. Good luck.