• Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Teaching Grammar

Teaching grammar plays a central role in every ESL / EFL teacher's classroom. The important question that needs to be answered is: how do I teach grammar? In other words, how do I help students learn the grammar they need....

Read more...

Source: About English as 2nd Language
    English as 2nd Language
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teaching Grammar

I presently teach 6 year olds english as a second lang. The children are multi culture and multi races. I am definitely having a big headache. Influences from their mother tongue is present. All that I can do at present is to drill the sentence pattern and hopefully they will be able to remember it.

Zionstyle is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

It is the big issue in teaching English in Asian countries as well. we teach Grammar in the traditional way. i have taught English in Thailand for 6 years. still..... my students have soem struggle in using English effectively.

Fleur de mort Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
    Teaching grammar plays a central role in every ESL / EFL teacher's classroom. The important question that needs to be answered is: how do I teach grammar? In other words, how do I help students learn the grammar they need....

Read more...

English as 2nd Language

Yes it's important
    thanks

Englishlanguage is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red5 View Post

Read more...

English as 2nd Language
    I can give you some advice as a student. If you are a native speaker and you're teaching non-native speakers, bear in your mind that what may look obvious to you may not look so to them.
    My English teacher, for istance, is a Canadian native speaker. She never really taught grammar because she always took it for granted. Now the result is that she has a class divided into two parts. Those who already knew English grammar before they had her as a teacher are really improving their English, especially in listening and speaking skills, since they have a native speaker as a teacher. But those who did not know grammar well have not improved in years.
    So be very careful about teaching grammar to foreign students and always check their knowledge.
    I hope this will help you and that you'll be able to be a great teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

As a student I should tell you some stuff to avoind in teaching:

1-Don`t use a book or a paper while you are teaching ,it will give a bad impression that you don`t understand what you are saying or you are not have all the ideas in your mind

2-Don`t teach through reading the Book Like reading a gramatical rule ,
    you had better to write it on board and to begin to explain.

- Both of 1 and 2 are the most important stuff because if students didn`t feel that you have a good knowledge then you lost their attention....But At the same time don`t make the Whole lecture as a mistry.

3-Give alot of Examples and quizes.

4-don`t make them compare all Grammar rules with their language .
    Last edited by alihandra; 11-Jul-2007 at 10:20.