Post Thanks / Like

Default Tutor Resources, etc.

Hello everyone.
    I am a new member. This is my first week of tutoring with a national tutoring service.

My students speak English but it is the second language of their household. All of them are very attentive and have done well so far. But, I joined here for support so that I may enhance their learning experience.

I am concerned about the material for the student who is just five. One of the books I am to use seems way, way too advanced for him. The first lesson says "Read this story about dogs. As you read, think about the most important idea in the story." He is to read the following passage " A pet dog needs man things. A dog needs a soft bed. It also needs special food made for dogs and a dish of water. You might want to give your dog a toy to play with...."

I do not want to have a discouraging attitude around him but feel this is too advanced for the little one. Because I knew I had to use the material provided I spent a little time on it but I could see him not even being interested. So I stopped and had him tell me a story about a blue dog and something funny that he did. Then helped him with his homework.

Please, I really need some resources to go along with this material that can get him to the point where I can again approach his lesson as outlined by my company. Since each of my students only have 24 hours each for the two months, I am somewhat anxious for them.

All of the parents of the assigned students hardly speak any English so I am pretty much on my own as to getting suggestions.

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tutor Resources, etc.

Resources depend on the place where you are stationed. The problem with the material that we sometimes are given is that most if it is centralized around the American culture. I have found that few of my students care about snow, dog as part of the family, democracy, and the U.S. culture. When I give them things that they can relate to they react possitively. Try finding out about the place where you are, then search for material relevant to the interests of the people from that area. Also, the story you described seemed too simplistic. It was almost not a story, it seemed like a bunch of statements. The five year old may not know a lot of English, but he or she can still think like any other five year old would. A good way to start with kids is giving them folk-tales from where they live.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tutor Resources, etc.

Thank you Johansen.