XYZ is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Making a request

Well, I donít want to bother anybody with my letters Ö. but FCE in June is coming Ö Sorry for that. It looks like Iíve bombed this forum with my letters. Hereís another one. Please correct any mistakes and will this letter pass? Which grade? A, B or C? Even C is Ok for me. It means I need to work hard and practice more. If someone wants to add something youíre welcome!

You recently traveled by plane from London to your country. The service was excellent, and the cabin staff very helpful. When you got home, you realized that you had left a book on the plane. Write a letter to the airline company, asking them to return your book to you. Offer to pay for any expenses.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to thank you very much for making my flight so enjoyable. The cabin staff was really helpful and professional, and the food was excellent. I appreciated the service of your airline company.

I wonder if I could also ask you a favour. I flew from London to Moscow on Saturday 16th June, flight number 1325. I realized when I came back home that I had left my book behind on the airplane. It is a small white book by Steven Spilberg with my name on the cover. I must have left it in the pocket in front of my seat, 7A.

If you manage to find the book, could you please post it to me, by mail, to my home address? Of course, I will pay for the postage. Would it be possible for you to let me know how much this is? I will send you a cheque as soon as I hear from you. I would be very grateful if you could to this for me.

Please contact me if you have any problems with this matter, and once again, I would like to thank you for all your help.

Yours faithfully,
    Peter Petrov.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Making a request

I would leave the first paragraph for the end of the letter, because you are writing to the airline to get back your book and not to tell them how nice everything was.

The second paragraph is fine with all necessary details like fight number and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Isaacs View Post
    I would leave the first paragraph for the end of the letter, because you are writing to the airline to get back your book and not to tell them how nice everything was.

The second paragraph is fine with all necessary details like fight number and so on.

Thank you very much for your help. Iíve used a letter from First Certificate Writing as an example to write this one and according to this book in the first paragraph I should thank somebody for something. Something like Ė I am writing to thank you very much for making my stay so enjoyable etc.

Anyway, could anybody correct mistakes in the letter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    Thank you very much for your help. Iíve used a letter from First Certificate Writing as an example to write this one and according to this book in the first paragraph I should thank somebody for something. Something like Ė I am writing to thank you very much for making my stay so enjoyable etc.
    That's ok, but since I think they have a whole departement at airlines just bothering about luggage and other things people loose, you're not only wasting your precious time but theirs too. Imagine how many phone calls, letters and emails those people have to read everyday and I don't think they want to read all that stuff until someone gets to the point he actually wants

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Isaacs View Post
    That's ok, but since I think they have a whole departement at airlines just bothering about luggage and other things people loose, you're not only wasting your precious time but theirs too. Imagine how many phone calls, letters and emails those people have to read everyday and I don't think they want to read all that stuff until someone gets to the point he actually wants

Well, youíre absolutely right but there are some differences between this letter and reality. This letter is just for exam, FCE and if I want to pass the exam successfully I have to follow some rules and according to them in the first paragraph I should thank a company or person for something, in the second paragraph I request to find something, in this particular case Iím asking to find my book, then I request to post something to me and I should give some details about that: address, postage etc and, finally, a conclusion. Just some kind or warm words. Thatís all. So, of course, if this situation was real I wouldnít write such a letter Ö

Any grammar mistakes? How do you find the letter in the whole? Thank you.