Anonymous Guest

Default Combining plural concepts (1 of potentially many)

I am not going to try to identify the particular subjects of grammar my problem deals with, because I don’t know which subjects of grammar with which my problem deals; but if you do, please tell me: I’m anxious to find out and learn, I encounter this problem a lot.

Here is my problems:

I have a booklet that contains reports about developments. On the title page of the booklet, I want to convey that fact with any combination of variants of the words “development” and “report”. Which combinations should I use?

1.) Development Reports
    2.) Developments Reports
    3.) Development Report
    4.) Developments Report

Facts:
    -There is more than one development in a report.
    -There is more than one report within the booklet.

My analysis:
    3 and 4 are not suitable, because reports should be plural to convey that there are more than one report within the booklet.
    1 can be a candidate for my purpose: “development” used as an adjective can relay that the reports are about development (one or more developments, I don’t know.) However, is it grammatical to use a noun as an adjective?
    2 can be a candidate for my purpose too: “development” used as an adjective can relay that the reports are about developments. However, is it grammatical to use a noun as an adjective?

Am I addressing the right issues for my problem? What do you think?

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I say use the first one (Development Reports). You can use a noun as an adjective. It is frequently done.

:)

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Combining plural concepts (1 of potentially many)

Quote Originally Posted by WASTHEBEST
    I am not going to try to identify the particular subjects of grammar my problem deals with, because I don’t know which subjects of grammar with which my problem deals; but if you do, please tell me: I’m anxious to find out and learn, I encounter this problem a lot.

Here is my problems:

I have a booklet that contains reports about developments. On the title page of the booklet, I want to convey that fact with any combination of variants of the words “development” and “report”. Which combinations should I use?

1.) Development Reports
    2.) Developments Reports
    3.) Development Report
    4.) Developments Report

Facts:
    -There is more than one development in a report.
    -There is more than one report within the booklet.

My analysis:
    3 and 4 are not suitable, because reports should be plural to convey that there are more than one report within the booklet.
    1 can be a candidate for my purpose: “development” used as an adjective can relay that the reports are about development (one or more developments, I don’t know.) However, is it grammatical to use a noun as an adjective?
    2 can be a candidate for my purpose too: “development” used as an adjective can relay that the reports are about developments. However, is it grammatical to use a noun as an adjective?

Am I addressing the right issues for my problem? What do you think?
    I agree with Ron. :wink: