• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

standing and status

Dear teachers,
    Please read the following sentence:

As we get to know people, we take into account things like age, race, physical attractivesness, economic and social __________.
    a. standing b. status

I found 'social standing' and 'social status' difficult to understand. Could you please kindly explain them to me?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Last edited by jiang; 20-Mar-2007 at 01:16.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: standing and status

Someone's status refers to their position when ranked with others. It describes where they would be in a list if everyone was graded in order of some particular quality they might have.

Another way of saying this might be: if we stood everyone in a line in order of a specified quality, where would I be standing?

Therefore 'my status' and 'my standing' are describing the same thing: where am I relative to others?

In your example, either word could be used, although STATUS would probably be a better choice.

HOWEVER....!!!!! the whole message in the sentence is not at all acceptable! Someone's age, race, colour, physical attractiveness, and social status SHOULD NEVER BE taken into account when getting to know anyone. Everyone should be taken for who or what they are. One cannot make judgements about anyone based on the features mentioned in the sentence.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: standing and status

Dear pedant,
    Thank you very much for your explanation.
    I think I understand your explanation to 'status' but I am not quite clear about 'standing'. Did you mean 'status' is more related to 'compared with others whether I am better or worse' while 'standing' simply means a position'? And do you mean both are correct but 'status' is better?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by pedant View Post
    Someone's status refers to their position when ranked with others. It describes where they would be in a list if everyone was graded in order of some particular quality they might have.

Another way of saying this might be: if we stood everyone in a line in order of a specified quality, where would I be standing?

Therefore 'my status' and 'my standing' are describing the same thing: where am I relative to others?

In your example, either word could be used, although STATUS would probably be a better choice.

HOWEVER....!!!!! the whole message in the sentence is not at all acceptable! Someone's age, race, colour, physical attractiveness, and social status SHOULD NEVER BE taken into account when getting to know anyone. Everyone should be taken for who or what they are. One cannot make judgements about anyone based on the features mentioned in the sentence.