Thread: Consistency

vladz Guest

Default Consistency

I always teach my students to have consistency in the tenses when they write compositions. However, I still find it difficult to check their works just like what is written below.

Last year, I went to Japan which (is/was) a very beautiful country. I visited many different cities and I saw Glenn who (is/was) my childhood friend. In Osaka, I stayed in a very nice hotel. The lobby (is/was) so clean that you would like to stay there. The rooms (is/was) so huge and the meals (is/are) great.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re:
    • Last year, I went to Japan which (is/was) a very beautiful country. I visited many different cities and I saw Glenn who (is/was) my childhood friend. In Osaka, I stayed in a very nice hotel. The lobby (is/was) so clean that you would like to stay there. The rooms (is/was) so huge and the meals (is/are) great.

Say:
    • Last year, I went to Japan, which is a very beautiful country. I visited many different cities, and I saw Glenn, who was my childhood friend. In Osaka, I stayed in a very nice hotel. The lobby is so clean that you would like to stay there. The rooms are spacious, and the meals are wonderful.

:)

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Consistency

Quote Originally Posted by vladz
    I always teach my students to have consistency in the tenses when they write compositions. However, I still find it difficult to check their works just like what is written below.

Last year, I went to Japan which (is/was) a very beautiful country. I visited many different cities and I saw Glenn who (is/was) my childhood friend. In Osaka, I stayed in a very nice hotel. The lobby (is/was) so clean that you would like to stay there. The rooms (is/was) so huge and the meals (is/are) great.
    In my opinion, the best advice for these tenses is to separate what is always true from what was true in the past. This is, of course, a matter of opinion, in some cases. But, one can separate what is likely to immutable from what is not.

Last year, I went to Japan which is a very beautiful country. I visited many different cities and I saw Glenn who is my childhood friend. In Osaka, I stayed in a very nice hotel. The lobby was so clean that you would like to stay there. The rooms were so huge and the meals were great.

The comments about Japan are likely to to be always true, as is also true of your friend. The comments about the hotel are not. :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the trouble with either/or choices. Things are not always so cut and dried. I figured that since the writer thinks the place is so nice that "you" would want to stay there that he/she would keep it mostly in the present tense. Still, I should have said, "The lobby was so clean...." After all, cleanliness (unless you are talking about a habit) is a fairly temporary thing. The rooms, however, after only a year's time are probably still going to be spacious.

vladz Guest

Thanks again for the help. I'm just wondering, do you have any guidelines for the consistency. Thanks again!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

In my opinion, the best advice for these tenses is to separate what is always true from what was true in the past. This is, of course, a matter of opinion, in some cases. But, one can separate what is likely to immutable from what is not.

Last year, I went to Japan which is a very beautiful country. I visited many different cities and I saw Glenn who is my childhood friend. In Osaka, I stayed in a very nice hotel. The lobby was so clean that you would like to stay there. The rooms were so huge and the meals were great.

The comments about Japan are likely to to be always true, as is also true of your friend. The comments about the hotel are not. :wink:
    I don't think I would say "Glenn is my childhood friend" unless I was a child.

:wink:

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend since childhood?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

I don't think I would say "Glenn is my childhood friend" unless I was a child.

Unfortunately, "was" suggests that the friendship has ended. :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How about:
    • Glenn is a friend of mine, and we have been friends since childhood.

Eh?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    How about:
    • Glenn is a friend of mine, and we have been friends since childhood.

Eh?

That would be fine. :wink: