Thread: brown-out

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation brown-out

Please explain the meaning of the phrases in bold in the following two paragraphs:

I Accenture, which is increasingly offering Information Technology 9IT), business process outsourcing (BPO) and business consulting as a “soup-to-nuts” bundling strategy for its global clients, aims to double its management consulting staff across the world in about three years.

II. Women tend to quit such jobs (taxing ones, ie. 70 - hour week) after a few years, the study shows. Men often stay but more than 40 per cent who worked those hours experienced “brown-out” within a period of five years and had the tendency to their creative zeal.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: brown-out

Quote Originally Posted by Romel Panzer View Post
    Please explain the meaning of the phrases in bold in the following two paragraphs:
    I Accenture, which is increasingly offering Information Technology 9IT), business process outsourcing (BPO) and business consulting as a “soup-to-nuts” bundling strategy for its global clients, aims to double its management consulting staff across the world in about three years.
    II. Women tend to quit such jobs (taxing ones, ie. 70 - hour week) after a few years, the study shows. Men often stay but more than 40 per cent who worked those hours experienced “brown-out” within a period of five years and had the tendency to [lose?] their creative zeal.
    'Soup-to-nuts' is a recently created idiom (at least, it was new to me when I first heard it in the '90s - maybe it's older in American English). Soup refers to the first course of a meal, and nuts refers to the last course. So it means 'From start to finish' or 'beginning to end'. A 'bundling strategy' is a (business) strategy for doing everything a customer needs.

To 'brown out' (or burn out) is what an electric lightbulb does at the end of its life (that is, the incandescent ones, with a filament that glows). 'Burn-out', a noun, refers to people having a glowing career and then losing their get-up-and-go entirely; I imagine 'brown-out' (not a noun I've heard) refers to a progressively unreliable performance.

b