Thread: Author Allie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Author Allie

Not sure I'm doing this write. I'm in the middle of a writing a novel written in first person. It is solved to the end, in my head. It's this middle part that I'm having trouble with. I have to have a man come from Paris, to identify a Jane Doe, who is in the Trauma Center of John Hopkins. I must add that this women is his wife, who was brutally beaten while in the U.S.

This man, from Paris, cannot be made known to the reader until the end of the book.

He has to talk to detectives and doctors while he is in the U.S. Can someone tell me how to write around not using names, especially in introductions.

Thanks for any information.

Lynque is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Author Allie

I'm not the one to counsel you on your request; however, you might think of whether you are "doing this" correctly, rather than write (Write? Write what?).

Cheers!

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Allie, if you are writing it in the first person, from whose point of view are you writing? If it's the man in question, then you can simply say things like "After verifying my identity, the officer got down to business..." etc.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

nb: Johns Hopkins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Allie, if you are writing it in the first person, from whose point of view are you writing? If it's the man in question, then you can simply say things like "After verifying my identity, the officer got down to business..." etc.
    Barb - D The first person is actually the wife. The story was in present time but now fades black, to a man somewhere in America, looking for a missing person. I don't know if this is a correct thing to do - since its a flashback, I have him speaking to Detectives and Doctor's and just have their names mentioned, not his. The man calls the police station the night before and talks to Det. Pickett. When he comes in to the office to see him
    after twenty-four hour waiting period, Det. Pickett says, "Oh yeah, I talked to you last night." I have put in little distractions, such as when the doctor walks in, Detective Pickett pushes a list of the women's description under his nose and says, here's the description we've been looking for Doc." Things like that. so the discussion goes on from there without anything but Sirs. The thing that I don't know about is having him have internalog while he's alone at her bed.