Anonymous Guest

Default Reading comprehension

Dear teachers,
    Sorry to post my question this way. I have tried to use Ask a Teacher under Menu but whenever I clicked on it there appeared on the screen 'Template-make-filename():Error
    file/templates/subsilver/askteacher_body.tpl does not exist'. I don't know why. So I have to post my question through Ask a Teacher under On-line forum.

Please read the following sentence:

Bork styles can be productive, but both sides need to make accommodations so the other's productivity isn't impaired.

The author maintains that both sides should______if the two different work styles clash headlong
    a. make efforts to avoid doing damage to the other's productivity.
    b. make compromises to bridge the gulf between them

The answer is 'b'. 'a' is not correct because it used 'efforts', which doesn't necessarily mean 'compromise'. And we can't use 'do damage to ' modify 'productivity'. Am I right? But in the sentence 'so....' suggests purpose. But 'a' doesn't state avoid impire other's productivity. Can I say this isn't a wellwritten choice?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the error message!

It should be fixed now. If you still have problems, please let us know.
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:D
    Thank you so much! It works now! It had broken down for three days.

Best wishes,

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    Sorry for the error message!

It should be fixed now. If you still have problems, please let us know.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Reading comprehension

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Dear teachers,
    Sorry to post my question this way. I have tried to use Ask a Teacher under Menu but whenever I clicked on it there appeared on the screen 'Template-make-filename():Error
    file/templates/subsilver/askteacher_body.tpl does not exist'. I don't know why. So I have to post my question through Ask a Teacher under On-line forum.

Bork styles can be productive, but both sides need to make accommodations so the other's productivity isn't impaired.

The author maintains that both sides should______if the two different work styles clash headlong

The answer is 'b'. 'a' is not correct because it used 'efforts', which doesn't necessarily mean 'compromise'. And we can't use 'do damage to ' modify 'productivity'. Am I right? But in the sentence 'so....' suggests purpose. But 'a' doesn't state avoid impire other's productivity. Can I say this isn't a wellwritten choice?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I understand the reasons for "a" being incorrect, but it seems like splitting hairs to me. I also don't think b is much better. No body talked about a "gulf" or "compromise". One can make adjustsments without compromise -- an adjustment is not necessarily a concession. :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:?
    Thank you very much for your explanation.

I am afraid I don't quite understand your explanation: No body talked about a "gulf" or "compromise". Did you mean people don't use the two words to replace the expression 'adjust themselves'? And when you said 'I understand the reasons for "a" being incorrect, but it seems like splitting hairs to me' are the reasons the same as I analyzed? It's hard because people are required to choose between the two.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I understand the reasons for "a" being incorrect, but it seems like splitting hairs to me. I also don't think b is much better. No body talked about a "gulf" or "compromise". One can make adjustsments without compromise -- an adjustment is not necessarily a concession. :wink:[/quote]

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

An accomodation is a comrpomise- it involves allowing the other person into your intellectual territory.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jiang

I am afraid I don't quite understand your explanation: No body talked about a "gulf" or "compromise". Did you mean people don't use the two words to replace the expression 'adjust themselves'? And when you said 'I understand the reasons for "a" being incorrect, but it seems like splitting hairs to me' are the reasons the same as I analyzed? It's hard because people are required to choose between the two.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I understand the reasons for "a" being incorrect, but it seems like splitting hairs to me. I also don't think b is much better. No body talked about a "gulf" or "compromise". One can make adjustsments without compromise -- an adjustment is not necessarily a concession. :wink:
    [/quote]

There is not much context here. The "A" answer is more in concert with what is known. All we know is that we have two groups who are performing some task and that both groups use a productive style. We also know that that the two styles have the potential of interfering with each other to the detriment of their combined productivity. "A" suggests that both sides need to try to reduce any interference that may affect the productivity of the other side. The choice of the word "damage" may not be perfect, but it creates the proper picture. Perhaps "decrease" "negatively impact" or some other phrase might have been better. My problem with "B" is that it introduces an element of "conflict" between the groups that is not really mentioned in the sentence. The words "gulf" and "compromise" suggest a level of disharmony which is not necessarily present. I think the sense of "A" is closer to the true text than the sense of "B".

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    There is not much context here. The "A" answer is more in concert with what is known. All we know is that we have two groups who are performing some task and that both groups use a productive style. We also know that that the two styles have the potential of interfering with each other to the detriment of their combined productivity. "A" suggests that both sides need to try to reduce any interference that may affect the productivity of the other side. The choice of the word "damage" may not be perfect, but it creates the proper picture. Perhaps "decrease" "negatively impact" or some other phrase might have been better. My problem with "B" is that it introduces an element of "conflict" between the groups that is not really mentioned in the sentence. The words "gulf" and "compromise" suggest a level of disharmony which is not necessarily present. I think the sense of "A" is closer to the true text than the sense of "B".[/quote]

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't quite understand your reply. Could you please tell me what you meant or which choice is correct?

I am looking forward to hearing from you/

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    An accomodation is a comrpomise- it involves allowing the other person into your intellectual territory.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You're very welcome.