Unregistered Guest

difference between english for occupational purposes and academic purposes

plz help i need some matrial regarding my assignment, can any one tell me the answer of this question:

how can english for occupational and english for academic purposes be different from each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: difference between english for occupational purposes and academic purposes

Its a broad distinction. English for occupational purposes presumably includes general english, business english etc., i.e. meant for everyday usage in your work for you to get by, or tourism english for that industry. English for academic purposes would touch upon the kind of English lessons and courses you take in order to pass certain standard tests like TOEFL, IELTS, Diploma or degrees etc. The curricula and the time for completion is quite different for the two streams.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: difference between english for occupational purposes and academic purposes

Hi,

I am new but I believe the difference becomes what are the goal and objectives of the class. For example, I am teaching English for Special Purposes (ESP) specializing in medical purposes for doctors and their students (Ss). I will suggest that you may want to visit a web site I found, Arlyn Freed's ESL/EFL Resources at Arlyn Freed's ESL/EFL English for Specific Purposes.

It's almost schizophrenic because I have to remember that first of all I am teaching EFL and not medicine. LOL! (Lots of Laughs)

Hope this helps a bit.