wenfar84 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation How to improve my teaching

I need some help, this next few weeks I have to teach the Present Perfect and I have no idea how to keep my class motivated . They are all between 35 an 65 years old, professionals, and I'm only 20, so they look at me as a kid. Also they like to talk, and make fun of everything , so if you have any tips on how to keep the attention with this subject..... give me a hand!!! Tks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to improve my teaching

Quote Originally Posted by wenfar84 View Post
    I need some help, this next few weeks I have to teach the Present Perfect and I have no idea how to keep my class motivated . They are all between 35 an 65 years old, professionals, and I'm only 20, so they look at me as a kid. Also they like to talk, and make fun of everything , so if you have any tips on how to keep the attention with this subject..... give me a hand!!! Tks.

When you say that they like to talk, that seems to be an extremely positive thing; after all, by talking, they're communicating, right?

The only question is, are they speaking English when they talk? If so, it's good, becuase if they're ESL students, then they need to be speaking English. It's great practice for new learners to speak the languge with and amongst each other.

Based on the age information alone, my advice is for you to get out! Let someone else teach them; you look for students in their twenties.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to improve my teaching

hi,
    your students are old but if you master your subject , they will be interested; ask them which activities are finished for them and which ones are not? just to begin ... if it can help you one of my collegue is 1.50m but her pupils all teenagers are so silent...