Post Thanks / Like

Please Help me Learn Comprehension

Here's the problem, I lack in my comprehension, grammar, vocabulary and english skills. I've graduated high school with one semester of english. I've taken english writing course in college and made a "B", but was advised to repeat the class because they felt I didn't comprehend the class, which I agree. I used all the help the teacher and tutors to gave me try to understand. I've also started going to GED classes to learn more about grammar, english and writing, which was about 6 months 2 to 3 times a week. On tests and/or talking the problems out I can figure out what the right answers are, but I do not understand the rules. I don't read much because it's difficult (major difficulty) to pronounce many of the words.

I hope you (whoever responses) can see I'm not afraid of trying and I continue to try, but I see very little improvement, so I continue to struggle with the things I want to do the most...which is to write.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Help me Learn Comprehension

What sort of writing do you wish to do?

Post Thanks / Like

I want to write for the Church I belong too, but also for everything else I do. I work at an Architectual Firm and emails are a big part of it. My confidence is shaken by my ability not to pronounce words properly when I'm in a meeting or standing before a group talking. How much confidence can a person have in someone who isn't well educated vocabulary and english skills. I have to say it really holds me back.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think that you are worrying a bit needlessly. In your first post, you talked about not understanding the rules. Many, if not most, native speakers don't know the rules of their mother tongue at a conscious level, because they internalised them when growing up, so they move more by instinct and feel than by consciously following rules. Not knowing the rules does not mean the same thing as not being able to lose the language.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I can understand and agree somewhat with what you are saying. Because I don't know the rules, I'm relying on my instincts for getting by.
    I do know I have problems getting the point of things I read. I can read an email and not get the point someone else gets; therefore, I'm interpeting what is being said wrong.

I think I just have to keep trying...whatever I am doing though, which I feel like I don't know where that is.