Catalyst is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Shakespeare's novel

Hello,
    " did light on the thatch "
    As i am not good in english as such.So, please let me know the meanings of this phrase.I would like to learn english as well so i need a teacher who can teach me from elementray level to advanced well this forum is also helpful for me but i want to learn in a proper and sequential manner rather than random.plz tell the meaning of this phrase as i have to explain someone.

regards,
    Kashif Riaz

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shakespeare's novel

Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
    Hello,
    " did light on the thatch "
    As I am not good in English as such. So please let me know the meanings of this phrase. I would like to learn English as well so I need a teacher who can teach me from elementary level to advanced well. This forum is also helpful for me but I want to learn in a proper and sequential manner rather than random. Plase tell the meaning of this phrase as I have to explain someone.

regards,
    Kashif Riaz
    More context would help, but it probably means that something (a light/an arrow/ a stone) fell onto the roof of a house. The roof is made of straw or reeds. This is called "thatch".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    More context would help, but it probably means that something (a light/an arrow/ a stone) fell onto the roof of a house. The roof is made of straw or reeds. This is called "thatch".
    You are quite right, that is what it means. Context? It is a quote from a letter by Sir Henry Wotten written in 1613, in which he gives an account of the Globe Theatre burning down. Cannons were used for special effects, and some 'stuff' from one of them set fire to the thatch.

'... Now King Henry making a Masque at the Cardinal Wolsey's house, and certain cannons being shot off at his entry, some of the paper or other stuff, wherewith one of them was stopped, did light on the thatch, where being thought at first but idle smoak, and their eyes more attentive to the show, it kindled inwardly, and ran round like a train, consuming within less than an hour the whole house to the very ground. '

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting (and possibly misleading to a present-day student) that 'light' in that account does not mean 'set fire to' (as it can do today) but 'land'.

b

PS

>light2
    >
    >VERB: To come to rest on the ground: alight1, land, set down, settle, touch down

light2. Roget’s II: The New Thesaurus, Third Edition. 1995.
    Last edited by BobK; 31-Mar-2007 at 18:40.

Catalyst is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thaaaaaaaaanx a lot Andrew and those who replied.

now, i got it.