XYZ is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Giving and asking for information (FCE)

Could you please check this? Here’s a topic and my answer to this. Information in brackets must be included in the letter. Thank you.

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that your story has won first prize in our competition. You have won a three-day trip to London for you and a friend, and $200 to spend on books.

Your prize includes:
    Free return flight (transport from the airport?)
    Accommodation for three nights (which hotel?)
    Three meals a day (must be taken at the hotel?)
    A sightseeing tour of London, optional (yes, please)

We need to know what date you would prefer to travel, if you would like to go on the sightseeing tour, and any special arrangements you would like (yes!) us to make for you.

We look forward to hearing from you.
    Yours sincerely,
    Lindsey Green
    Competition Organizer.

Write a reply giving the information requested, and also covering the notes (in brackets)

Dear Mr. Green,

I am writing in reply to your letter of 16th June, in which you informed me that I had won the first prize in the competition for students of English. I would like to give you the requested information and enquire about my trip to London.

I am glad to know that my story has been awarded the first prize and this trip is a really good opportunity for me to learn something new about Britain.

I would like to arrive in London on 25th June. I would be very grateful if you could make arrangements for renting a car, as I am planning to visit some historical places outside London. I would also like to go on the sightseeing.

Could you please give some more details about the trip? Would I be picked up from the airport or I will have to use the public transport? I would also like to know the address of the hotel and where I can have a meal.

I can be contacted at the above address, or by telephone on 111 1111.
    I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,
    Peter Petrov.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giving and asking for information (FCE)

I'm sorry, but the original letter is typical of a scam (that is, someone trying to get you to send them money on the promise of something free, which is designed only to steal money from you).

Consequently, I cannot comment any further.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedant View Post
    I'm sorry, but the original letter is typical of a scam (that is, someone trying to get you to send them money on the promise of something free, which is designed only to steal money from you).

Consequently, I cannot comment any further.
    It's an exam practice question, not a scam- it's for Cambridge First Certificate.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

on the sightseeing-on the sightseeing tour
    where I can have a meal- it doesn't say this in the information; you get three meals a day as part of the prize, but you want to know if you have to eat all of them at the hotel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    on the sightseeing-on the sightseeing tour
    where I can have a meal- it doesn't say this in the information; you get three meals a day as part of the prize, but you want to know if you have to eat all of them at the hotel.
    Thank you very much for your help. Could you please take a quick look at the corrected letter? Are phrases and vocabulary good enough or I need to correct something? Thank you.

Dear Mr. Green,

I am writing in reply to your letter of 16th June, in which you informed me that I had won the first prize in the competition for students of English. I would like to give you the requested information and enquire about my trip to London.

I am glad to know that my story has been awarded the first prize and this trip is a really good opportunity for me to learn something new about Britain.

I would like to arrive in London on 25th June. I would be very grateful if you could make arrangements for renting a car, as I am planning to visit some historical places outside London. I would also like to go on the sightseeing tour.

Could you please give some more details about the trip? Would I be picked up from the airport or I will have to use the public transport? I would also like to know the address of the hotel and if I have to eat the meals at the hotel or somewhere else?

I can be contacted at the above address, or by telephone on 111 1111.
    I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,
    Peter Petrov.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, but I'd say 'or can I eat elsewhere?'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    OK, but I'd say 'or can I eat elsewhere?'
    Thanks a lot!!!!!