XYZ is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Making arrangements (FCE)

There is a topic and my answer to this. Could you please correct it. Thank you very much.

A group of English students is coming to your country for a week for an educational visit. You have been asked to be the guide for their visit. You have received the following letter from the head teacher of the school in Britain.

The letter

Thank you for agreeing to be a guide for our group. I would like to know if you will meet us at the airport, and take us to our hotel. We would also like to know what sightseeing tours you have planned for us. We would prefer to go sightseeing in the mornings, and have our afternoons free.

As this will be an educational visit, can you please make sure that you include places of historical or cultural interest? We would also like to have dinner at a restaurant which serves traditional local food on one of the evenings. Could you please write and confirm these arrangements?

We are all looking forward to meeting you.
    Yours sincerely,
    Helen Andrews.

The notes

Meet at airport, taxis arranged to go to the hotel.
    Sightseeing: archaeological and cultural tours arranged by local tourist company.
    Sightseeing from 10.30 am to 2.30 pm, 4 days
    Restaurant – The Old Mill, with live folk music and dancing.

Write a letter to Helen Andrews, making arrangements for the visit. Answer all the questions and cover all the points in your notes.

Dear Ms. Andrews,

I am writing to let you know what arrangements have been made for your 7-day educational visit to Russia.

I have arranged for you to meet the group of your student at the airport and bring them to the hotel by taxi. I would also like to inform you that archaeological and cultural tours have been arranged by local tourist company.

Could you please tell me if it is acceptable for you to go to the sightseeing from 10.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m., 4 days? This will enable you to have afternoons free. There is a restaurant “The Old Mill” with live folk music and dancing next to the hotel. I would like to know if you agree to have dinner there.

My phone number is 111 1111. If you need to require any further information, please do not hesitate to call me.

I look forward to seeing you.

Yours sincerely,
    Peter Petrov.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Making arrangements (FCE)

Check:
    I have arranged for you to meet the group of your student (2 problems- one of logic and one of language)
    by local tourist company
    to go to the sightseeing
    10.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m., 4 days
    if you agree to have dinner

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Making arrangements (FCE)

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Check:
    I have arranged for you to meet the group of your student (2 problems- one of logic and one of language)
    by local tourist company
    to go to the sightseeing
    10.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m., 4 days
    if you agree to have dinner
    Thank you for help. Could you please take a look at my corrected letter? Could you also clear one thing up for me?

Why is this acceptable to use - Could you please tell me if it is acceptable for you to … - with the present simple in the second clause - if it is acceptable - but in the sentence - I would like to know if you would agree to have dinner there – we need to use - would agree. What’s the difference? I though it was an indirect question, so do you agree to have dinner, and then in the indirect question - I would like to know if you agree to have dinner there.

Dear Ms. Andrews,

I am writing to let you know what arrangements have been made for your 7-day educational visit to Russia.

I have arranged for a taxi to meet the group of your students at the airport and bring them to the hotel. I would also like to inform you that archaeological and cultural tours have been arranged by a local tourist company.

Could you please tell me if it is acceptable for you to go sightseeing/go on the sightseeing tour from 10.30 a.m. till 2.30 p.m.? 4 days will be enough for it. Could you please tell me which days you would prefer?

There is a traditional restaurant called “The Old Mill” with live folk music and dancing next to the hotel. I would like to know if you would agree to have dinner there.

My phone number is 111 1111. If you need to require any further information, please do not hesitate to call me.

I look forward to seeing you.

Yours sincerely,
    Peter Petrov.

Post Thanks / Like

I've corrected my letter, could you please take a look at this again. Thank you.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

4 days will be enough for it.- 4 days will be enough. (or 'for them' as there will be four trips.)
    go on the sightseeing tour- plural (4 trips)
    would agree to have- would like to have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    4 days will be enough for it.- 4 days will be enough. (or 'for them' as there will be four trips.)
    go on the sightseeing tour- plural (4 trips)
    would agree to have- would like to have?
    Thanks a lot !