• Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: British or American english

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    1. The most important difference between the two varieties is vocabulary. There are four differences. Spelling, pronunciation and grammar differences are relatively the smaller problem . Vocabulary difference can lead to misunderstanding. Purse for example in AmE means a handbag. Subway exists in both varieties but with a difference in meaning.

2. Englishes: AmE and BE have been the two dominant varieties so far. But in the age of internet, satellite TV and globalization other varieties should be considered as well. So the word English doesn’t apply any more. What do you mean: BE, AmE, Canadian, Australian, Indian or Chinese English?

3. It is no more tenable to stick to one variety This is the age of mixing. English is no more a linguistic identity. We now speak Globish.

4. Change of spelling from BE to AmE does away with history. In colour not in color we can see French.

5. AmE is dominating now because the US is a superpower. But hopefully soon we stop saying AmE or BE . Can you speak Globish?
    There exists Style Guides which outlines standards for writing for a particular publication. For example, Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publication is universally used for Technical Publications in Computer Industry. Styles are essential to maintain consistency in Technical Documentation. Mixing of different styles in one publication is not considered acceptable.The URL Style guide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia provides an overview of different style guides.

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arunp View Post
    There exists Style Guides which outlines standards for writing for a particular publication. For example, Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publication is universally used for Technical Publications in Computer Industry. Styles are essential to maintain consistency in Technical Documentation. Mixing of different styles in one publication is not considered acceptable.The URL Style guide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia provides an overview of different style guides.
    Arunp: you are talking about Terminology Standardisation. This is a bit differnet. Companies like Microsoft have started a database of standardisation so that all of them can rerfer to when advertising their products or publishing/translating their Technical Documentation. Not only business is interested but universities have started courses of studies on Standardisation. I was approached by a magazine to write an article. If you happen to know anything else do let me know. Thanks. Globalisation made such studies a necessity. The Business Imperative for Managing Terminology Better. See the following link The Localization Industry Standards Association : home page

Still, companies are facing a lot of difficulties. There is a long way to go.
    Last edited by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim; 23-Sep-2007 at 16:08.

arunp is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    Arunp: you are talking about Terminology Standardisation. This is a bit differnet. Companies like Microsoft have started a database of standardisation so that all of them can rerfer to when advertising their products or publishing/translating their Technical Documentation. Not only business is interested but universities have started courses of studies on Standardisation. I was approached by a magazine to write an article. If you happen to know anything else do let me know. Thanks. Globalisation made such studies a necessity. The Business Imperative for Managing Terminology Better. See the following link The Localization Industry Standards Association : home page

Still, companies are facing a lot of difficulties. There is a long way to go.
    In fact Styles is not just about terminologies,it provides exhaustive guidelines on how to produce standard text for the target audience.The sub headings Acedamia and Publishing and General interest in the URL I had referred to in my previous post should answer your query.Technical Writing is a specialized skill which focuses on, among other things , consistency in documents. However, a writer having a good command over English can,with practice and knowledge of styles produce acceptable documents where general public is the target audience.

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned a company like Microsoft and companies are interested in harmonisation of terminology so that their message gets across. Apart from terminology there is formal/informal register which varies across disciplines. Academic writing is one including layout/style and punctuation. Formal communication standardisation has its advantages but difficult to accomplish because it is restrictive. Informal communication cannot be standardised easily. I believe sticking to either BE or AmE is passe. There is a tendency to simplification, increasing information density (nominalisation in academic writing) and speed of communication. Business correspondence has indeed changed. There is no more indentation or closed punctuation. People still have problems with the American or British way of writing the month in the date line.
    Last edited by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim; 23-Sep-2007 at 20:15.

taile is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear all,

Sorry for my mistake English.
    I am studying American English and I am confusing about pronouncing /t/ in AE. From some information on internet, I know there are four way to pronounce /t/ in AE:

{
    Symbol/Name/Description

t' /aspirated t/ t with an audible escape of air. The more aspirated the t, the more the sound approaches "ch"

.t /stopped t/ onset of t only without the final (unreleased t) escape of air. Often accompanied by a glottal stop - a sort of tightening in the throat

t /tapped t/ a voiced consonant; similar to the flapped r of Spanish or Italian

_t /neutral t/ not aspirated, stopped, nor tapped
    }

Whom are American, please explain for me more about this problem.
    About 'tapped t' (pronounced similar /d/), American use 'tapped t' regularly, example in words: better, letter, writer, wetting, latter, water, battle, heater,... I also want to use 'tapped t' for these word, but somtimes they make misunderstand for listeners, for example: 'writer' and 'rider', 'wetting' and 'wedding', 'latter' and 'ladder',... Now, I decide only use 'aspirated t' or 'neutral t', not use 'tapped t' to avoid misunderstand for listeners. According to you, I pronounce like that true or not true. Because I think essentially /t/ is still /t/, not similar /d/.
    Please give me some advices.

Thank you.
    Tai.
    Last edited by taile; 02-Oct-2007 at 03:39.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234