XYZ is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Making a complaint (FCE)

Could you please check my letter? I'm not sure about tenses (as I see it I still have this stereo and it is more natural to use present simple but in the ad all notes are written in the past tense, something like - didn't work, destroyed etc, so I desided to use the past simple) in this letter and articles. Please pay your attention to them.

Words in brackets must be included in my letter.

You bought the personal stereo advertised in a mail order catalogue.

A GREAT LITTLE PERSONAL MUSIC CENTER THAT FITS IN YOUR POCKET! (very big and too heavy for my pocket)

This high-quality stereo comes to you at the unbeatable price of $19.99, (not true Ė found one for $14.99 in shop) including cost of postage, lower than you will find in any shop.

It comes compete with:
    - headphones (missing)
    - convenient carrying case (zip broken)
    - batteries

It has a recording facility (didnít work), will pick up any radio station, and plays all your tapes (destroyed two tapes) with high-quality sound.

THIS IS A BARGAIN NOT TO BE MISSED!

Write a letter to Home Mail Order, complaining about the stereo, and asking for your money back, or a new stereo.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in connection with a personal stereo, which I saw advertised in your mail order catalogue. Last week I bought one of these stereos, and I am sorry to say that I was very disappointed when I received it.

First of all, your advertisement stated that the price of stereo would be lower than in any shop but I saw the same stereo at the price of $14.99 instead of $19.99.

Furthermore, your advertisement promised that it would be a high-quality stereo compete with all necessary accessories. However, when I received it, headphones were missing and there was a broken zip on a carrying bag. A recording facility did not work as well and I have already destroyed two tapes with my favourite musical compositions.

Finally, you also promised that it would be a compact and portable device. However, the stereo was so big and heavy that it could not be carried in a pocket.

Could you please arrange for me to receive a new stereo or refund my money in full?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,
    Peter Petrov.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Making a complaint (FCE)

with all necessary accessories- article missing
    headphones were missing and there was a broken zip on a carrying bag. - article and change the way you say the least bit
    A recording facility- wrong article
    a compact and portable device- I'd drop 'and'
    Could you please arrange for me to receive a new stereo or refund my money in full? - I would be a buit firmer in a complaint letter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    with all necessary accessories- article missing
    headphones were missing and there was a broken zip on a carrying bag. - article and change the way you say the least bit
    A recording facility- wrong article
    a compact and portable device- I'd drop 'and'
    Could you please arrange for me to receive a new stereo or refund my money in full? - I would be a buit firmer in a complaint letter
    Iíve corrected the letter according to your corrections. Please check this. Thank you.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in connection with a personal stereo, which I saw advertised in your mail order catalogue. Last week I bought one of these stereos, and I am sorry to say that I was very disappointed when I received it.

First of all, your advertisement stated that the price would be lower than in any shop but I saw the same stereo at a price of $14.99 instead of $19.99.

Furthermore, your advertisement promised that it would be a high-quality stereo complete with the all necessary accessories. However, when I received it, the headphones were missing and there was a broken zip on the carrying bag. As well, the recording facility did not work and I have already destroyed two tapes which contained my favourite musical compositions.

Finally, you also promised that it would be a compact, portable device. However, the stereo was so big and heavy that it could not be carried in a pocket.

Could you please arrange for me to receive a new one or refund my money in full?

Yours faithfully,
    Peter Petrov.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

at a price- the
    the all- all the
    As well- Also,
    favourite musical compositions- I'd use 'songs' or 'pieces of music'
    Could you please arrange for me to receive a new one or refund my money in full? - I'd say something like 'I would, therefore, be grateful if you would either replace the defective items or refund me in full.'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    at a price- the
    the all- all the
    As well- Also,
    favourite musical compositions- I'd use 'songs' or 'pieces of music'
    Could you please arrange for me to receive a new one or refund my money in full? - I'd say something like 'I would, therefore, be grateful if you would either replace the defective items or refund me in full.'
    Could you please take a look at this letter again, and I believe it will be the last time Ö Is it OK? Thank you.

Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all, your advertisement stated that the price would be lower than in any shop but I saw the same stereo at the price of $14.99 instead of $19.99.

Furthermore, your advertisement promised that it would be a high-quality stereo complete with all the necessary accessories. However, when I received it, the headphones were missing and there was a broken zip on the carrying bag. Also, the recording facility did not work and I have already destroyed two tapes which contained my favourite songs.

Finally, you also promised that it would be a compact, portable device. However, the stereo was so big and heavy that it could not be carried in a pocket.

I would, therefore, be grateful if you would either replace the defective items or refund me in full.

Yours faithfully,
    Peter Petrov.