Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Tesol Course Istanbul

Hi has anyone done this course or have any knowledge of this course? I am hoping to enrol on this 4 week course in Istanbul.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tesol Course Istanbul

Trinity CertTESOL London, United Kingdom
    I think you can find here you wonder about.
    And you can search from google if you write "TESOL in Turkey"
    bye.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Which course? What's the site?

PS New users cannot post URLs until they have reached 10 posts to cut out spam, so could you just put the name of the site without www. and .com. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I've enrolled now for June! And paid my deposit. starting the course 4th June to 29th June.

I have been living in Fethiye at the moment and Istanbul (Kadiköy) is the one and only place to do the TEFL course here in Turkey.

Looking forward to it but also apprehensive.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it goes well. Please, let us know what it's like.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Tefl Course Istanbul - dont bother

Im so angry about this course.

I attended this course in Istanbul

I paid over £1,000 for this course. I completed the teacher training and everything but failed the grammar test. I have to re-take the grammar back in istanbul.

NOWHERE IN the VIA LİNGUA LITERATURE DOES IT SAY THE WHOLE CERT HANGS ON THE RESULTS OF THE GRAMMAR TEST.

HOW YOU CAN BE EXPECTED TO LEARN THAT AMOUNT OF GRAMMAR IN 4 WEEKS IS RIDICULOUS. It would have been helpful if we had been given the course books to read through before the we started the course.

The time table was badly planned.

Because I complained about the awful accommodation I was placed in with another woman(broken washing machine broken bed and cockroaches flying out the kitchen cupboards) while everyone else had their own rooms and comfy places to stay I felt victimised thereafter and marked down by the course co-ordinator/teacher trainer throughout the course.

Apparently the school said WE WERE THE WORST BUNCH OF COMPLAINERS THEY HAD EVER HAD. Charming I must say!

When we got there, nothing was working. We could not save work. The computers would not copy work to disk. There were five computers and only one worked. The one in the teachers room kept crashing. This caused us phenomenal stress. Hence we had to fork out more money at the internet cafes.

The only time the school bucked up and provided better facilities was when they had someone coming around to give them some sort of award (''equals''??) if anyone knows who they are please let me know I think they should be contacted. They dont deserve this so called award.

Four of us did not get the cert. 3 did. One under suspicious circumstances.

At the end we were not allowed to see our exam papers or see where we went wrong. SO THIS MEANS THAT EVERY TEST I TAKE THEY CAN ALWAYS SAY I FAILED AND I HAVE NO EVIDENCE TO SEE IF THEY ARE TELLING THE TRUTH OR NOT. THIS IS NOT RIGHT.

I suffered badly throughout the 4 week course. I nearly left the course due to getting gastric flu. However I saw the course through to the end. I AM OUTRAGED THAT I DONT EVEN GET A CERT OR ANY EVIDENTIAL DOCUMENT TO SAY I COMPLETED THE COURSE WITH GRAMMAR RE-TAKE PENDING ETC. I HAVE VIRTUALLY NO EVIDENCE THAT I HAVE TAKEN THE COURSE DESPITE HANDING OVER A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF MONEY that I could ill afford.

QUOTE:At Via Lingua your ability as a language teacher will largely be assessed by your performance in the classroom

ALL OF THE SO CALLED JOB HELP AND GUIDANCE DID NOT MATERIALISE.

WHERE WAS MY PERSONAL COUNSELLOR FOR JOBS? Why where they telling people that 80% of students already had jobs the third week of the course?? surely they had to do their grammar exam to know they were getting the cert?

Where was the job guidance?? all we got was a list of language schools handed out.

Where was the professional help with out CV? all we got was a template thrown at us.

WHERE WAS THE AIRPORT PICK UP FOR PEOPLE COMING FROM ABROAD?

THEY WERE JUST INTERESTED IN GETTING THE MONEY ALL £10,000 OF IT BETWEEN US ALL. WHAT A NICE LITTLE EARNER I MUST SAY.

HOW COME THEY ALREADY HAD THREE CERTS PRINTED OUT WITH THE NAMES OF THE PEOPLE ON THEM THE SAME DAY AS THE GRAMMAR TEST? WHICH SUGGESTS PRE-EMPTED PASSEES.

AT THE END WE WERE UNCEREMONIOUSLY BOOTED OUT OF THE SCHOOL WITH NO GRADUATION DINNER OR ANYTHING FOR THE ONES THAT PASSED. IT WAS THANKS FOR THE MONEY NOW GET LOST.

Overall I would not point my worst enemy in their direction. Yes I am bitter - too right I am. all that money for nothing!!

If anyone can make me feel better about this please help me out here.

Ironpetal
    Last edited by ironpetal; 04-Jul-2007 at 18:04. Reason: change of name

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tefl Course Istanbul - dont bother

Ironpetal, I have sent you an email.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I have not had your email.

ironpetal

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I have sent you a Private Message.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your message and your help. Of course if the person you mentioned wants to contact me that is fine.

I sent you some stuff but dont know if you got it

I have demanded my money back or my Cert.

I dont know where to go from here. Just wait and see what excuses they come up with I suppose but quite frankly I cant seem me getting either.

Cactus seem flabbergasted that someone has complained about the course and the place. I am flabbergasted its gone for so long without a complaint before!

I was very definitely singled out and bullied on that course for complaining

Here is another example:-

After complaining re the accommodation. I thought everything would be ok once it was sorted. However, I was wrong.

I went to a grammar class one morning after my complaint had been lodged and was being deal with. The teacher who was taking our class suddenly decided to verbalise my 'complaint' in front of the whole class and use it as a vehicle to make a grammar point! I was absolutely flabbergasted when she openly told the whole class that I had made a complaint about my accommodation and who I made the complaint to!. This, in my view, was designed for maximum embarrassment and humiliation for me over what should have been a confidential matter. I did not know where to put my face as I could see all the other students eyeballing me. I was so taken aback I didnt protest I just felt acute embarrassment and gobsmacked to say the least but kept my dignity and composure. and said nothing at the time not even to my colleagues and nobody mentioned it afterwards.

Later I was put with a really nice Turkish woman called Nursan in her home. We got on really well and have become good friends. She trusted me to look after her home for 10 days while she went to a funeral 6 hours away.

However I got called to the Director's office and read the riot act about the rules and regulations living in this womans house. (Im a 54 year old woman ). I had already been living there a few days with no problems and the woman herself had shown me the rules and regulations so why was this happening again? By this time I had had enough and I might have appeared defensive but I was very definitely being bullied here and in the lesson and at other times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast