When to use 'understand' and when to use'understood'?

• Thread starter angelatay
  • Start date
  • Views : 104,584
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angelatay

Hello, this is the first time i'm here..so please tell if there's any grammatical error i have made, thanks. there's something that makes me a bit confusing.. Actually which one of the following is true?
1. ...Yes,I understand.
2. ...Yes,I understood.
And if someone asks whether I understand something or not, I should reply 'understood' or 'understand'? because i think if i said 'understood', that means now i don't understand already because it's past tense word.
So please explain this for me..i'm blur now..

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Hello, this is the first time I'm here..so please tell me if there's any grammatical error I have made, thanks. There's something that makes me a bit confused. Which one of the following is correct?

1. ...Yes, I understand.
2. ...Yes, I understood.

If someone asks whether I understand something or not, should I reply 'understood' or 'understand'? Because I think if I said 'understood', that means now I don't understand already because it's the past tense.

So please explain this for me..I'm blur now..

Both are correct.

The question itself might be "Did you understand that?" "Yes, I understand it." [present and continual]

OR

"Have you understood what I said?" "Yes, I understood you, but I don't understand why you said it." [past]

Status
Not open for further replies.